Modelling Munster, Scale Model Show

Model related events around Ireland... or close to it.
FiSe

Modelling Munster, Scale Model Show

Postby FiSe » Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am

Hi guys,

I thought that I will let you know about planned

Modelling Munster 2013 - Scale Model Show & Public Competition

This one day model show is organized by the Limerick/Shannon Branch of the 'other club' in our branch 'home venue' - Atlantic Airventure Centre in Shannon, on December 15th.

The show and competition is open to anyone who wish to take part. The competition itself is stripped down to a bare minimum and we would like to create type of show you'd see on the continent. Not aimed on the general public and footfall from the street, but centered around the modellers themselves.

All who travelled to Shannon for the IPMS IRL Nationals last year, will know the venue and how easy is to get there - just under 2hrs from Cork, via M8, Caher, Tip Town and up to M7 through tunnel, no passports needed, but tolled twice, Dublin just over 2hrs on motorway, Galway 1.5 hr and so on... - and how appropriate that venue is. Needless to say, that there's plenty of light in the exhibition 'glass house and that there has been some great additions to the exhibits in the last couple of months - ex Swiss AF Vampire, Cessna O-2 and Spitfire and Anson Mk. XIX cockpits...

We would like to see this show as some sort of plastic modelling retreat from the pre x-mas madness and as an exchange of ideas and skills in friendly atmosphere and in amazing venue rather than revenue generating event.
Although, we'd like to get our money back [smilie=tease.gif]

We do not plan to have any traders or club, SIG, collection displays, but we hope that this will not be looked at as a minus, after all, who's buying on the shows?

For more info on this event, please click at this link: http://www.modellingmunster.com/modelling_munster_show.htm

Everybody welcome and comments and suggestions welcome

Last edited by FiSe on Mon May 26, 2014 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

beowulf

Re: Modelling Munster 2013, Scale Model Show

Postby beowulf » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am

best of luck with this, sorry i canr make it

one personal point tho.......one reason i go to shows is to buy kits and bits, not just the show it self. last show i went to i spent more in 2 hours than i did for the rest of the year in shops/online

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I second Pauls statement about traders or vendors. Having this will help recoup some of the costs, A lot of people go to shows to get a deal or to find some handy tools. So maybe you should reconsider it.

I love the Idea of a 1 day show so i will most likely Attend if i can find someone to drag along.

Boreham

Postby Boreham » Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm

To say the advert is misleading , is an understatment.

"The Only show in Musnter"

I believe there's a show due in cork city this year again, which was massive last year.
Possibly ,the only concern there is venue, as it was much bigger than anticipated .
loads of kits.... but no confidence to build...!!
Fear of failure..has me this way..

FiSe

Postby FiSe » Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks guys,

well, we are thinking about some sort of flea market, rather than a traders area. But we'll see on this one.
Our intention is to keep things simple and go easy on ourselves, nothing worst than have room full of unhappy trade posts with minimum turnover...
Let's not forget that it is in December, roads could be a bit icy or it could rain and folk wont travel, it will be after IMSS show, IPMS IRL Nationals and after Telford and in the middle of xmas madness, so the modeller's pockets could be pretty much empty at the time.
If this event will be classified as a success, than we'll see what can be done in the next and the following years.

Boreham, it's the only Scale Modelling Show with competition aimed specifically on plastic modelling in Munster.

Boreham

Postby Boreham » Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 pm

aahh Only competition in Munster..
loads of kits.... but no confidence to build...!!
Fear of failure..has me this way..

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed May 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Welcome aboard FiSe!

FiSe wrote:the Limerick/Shannon Branch of the 'other club'

By this I presume you're referring to IPMS Ireland? You know you can say those words around here. ISM does not feel threatened. :lol: In fact, the only people using the terms "other club", "rebel club", "other forum" etc, etc [smilie=sleeping.gif] are those in the "other club". I just want to clarify one thing while I'm at is as I'm quite frankly bored of hearing these things... Irish Scale Modeller is NO WAY in any form of competition with other clubs in Ireland. It wouldn't waste its time either... how can it be in competition when it's already miles ahead? :D It is not a club but an open free community with the best intentions of serving modellers from different genres in Ireland. The aim of ISM is to become the one-stop shop for all things relating to scale modelling in Ireland. ISM maintains its advert-free forum on a private server that is paid for by events held in association with ISM. Modellers pay a couple of euros to enter the best model show/fair in Ireland and some of that money goes to host the best forum in Ireland, the rest is re-invested into the next show... it's win-win situation all around! And it's clearly an ideology that works and is appreciated :o)b It would be bordering criminal in today's world to ask people for a membership fee for just a forum [smilie=whistle.gif]

So feel free to just use name IPMS Ireland on here but one of the principle rules of ISM is that club business, club advertising, politics, egos and pettiness from any club is kept to that clubs own forum and left outside the door of ISM. No one has yet to be reminded of that either. This forum is a retreat for those who want get away from, or are simple not bothered with, club crap and just want to focus on the enjoyment of the hobby with some like-minded people. So can we move on from the whole competition idea please?

Now that we've got that cleared up welcome to "the dark side" Image (another term used by those in the "other club") ;)

Now back to your event. I will applaud you for making the effort here and staging a new event. :DX A lot of people like to complain about the modelling scene in Ireland but not many of them are willing to actually go to the trouble to organise events and so on. So anything like this event is a positive thing in my eyes so I doff my cap at you sir!

I'm not sure about a competition so late in the year after all the other major events from September onwards. Maybe the same models would be turning out for display again? And as is evident from the IPMS IRL nationals, there seems to be more trophies than models with no competition in some categories. I've seen myself guys entering their models in categories with absolutely no competition so they walk off with the gold, silver and bronze. A hollow victory in my eyes as some of these models were not competition standard. My advice would be very few awards, combine categories and focus more on quality than quantity. As you're a superb modeller yourself, I would expect you to have the eye for excellent workmanship anyway. You'll need a unique slant to make this show different but I'll leave that up to you.

FiSe wrote:We do not plan to have any traders or club, SIG, collection displays, but we hope that this will not be looked at as a minus

To be honest, that to me is commercial suicide. [smilie=hanging.gif] I doubt I'd travel to many shows if I wasn't lured by the carrot that is a show special or at least some paints and supplies.

FiSe wrote:who's buying on the shows?

Me... and probably 99% of the modellers attending will have the intention to pick up a bargain or a gem of a kit.

As for the club name Modelling Munster... it's a bit ambiguous. :oj I think of something relating to architecture, geography or a character from a sixties TV show.

I can't promise that I'll make it because of the time of year and I'll probably be exhausted from all the other shows but I wish you the very best of luck with it. Fair play.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

FiSe

Postby FiSe » Wed May 08, 2013 4:51 pm

- Modelling Munster is the name of the event and web page which refers to IPMS Ireland branch/es/ based in Munster Province. And, yes, I like the double meaning of the name. It's reminder not to take life too seriously...

- As I have mentioned above, we are thinking about some sort of flea market, but we have to look at all the details yet

- As for the lack of traders/group displays/SIG/strip dancers/vintage car display/re-enactors/motorbike show... whatever rocks one's boat, it could be a certain minus, nevertheless, we believe that nice and simple start is what we need rather than blown up show with no punters around. It's only a few hours event, so one can not expect miracles.
I have been on the first ever Go Modelling in Vienna and this is exactly how it looked like: a few tables with models in the back of a bar. Look at the show now...

- As for the categories, we are well aware about the problems of having too many categories and, as I have mentioned, we have stripped everything down to bare minimum:
We have 6 categories and 2 special trophies

- Repetition of models, it's happening everywhere, UK, CZ, Ireland. From the other hand, we are lucky as there are only handful of shows in here.
And at least our branch member will try to have a few 1st time entries on the table

- But this event should be looked at as a plastic scale model show, with competition to add a bit of spice to the display. My take is that I am not entering to win, but to learn from others to improve my skills.
we will have to look at the judging at one of the ideas is to allow every entrant to have a go at it and then choose the winners by counting the votes... I've done it before and it's very labour demanding, we'll see.

Either way there's a plenty of time to sort out the details and I'll keep yis posted.

Cheers

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Excellent stuff! Looks like you have it all under control and a good direction to take it in. Best of luck and do keep us updated if you decide to add traders and so on.

All the best!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Wed May 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Phillip,

Bang us a poster to Marks Models, 136 Olivier Plunkett Street, Cork City and I'll stick it up on the window. (my Printers kaput before you ask), I am hoping to be Dublin for the IMSS show on the Sunday so could get one off you there if thats a better option.

Good idea on a show to and hopefully it will engage and encourage a few to take it up. If I am still working next December that I will not be able to get the Sunday off as Its a solid month of work in the gaf for me. :cry:

Look forward to seeing some piccys if possible.
Cheers

George

Return to “Events”