Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1/72

Georgeconna

Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1/72

Postby Georgeconna » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Well I picked this up today and this is going to be my D-Day Build. Its a new tooling so if it is up to the usual Airfix Standards then I will be ok.

Here some pics of the Kit:

The Typhoons role during D-Day was to spearhead the airborne assault through occupied Europe. Powered by a huge Napier Sabre 2000HP Engine the Typhoon Packed some punch with its Rockets.During the Sweeps over france that were called Rhubarbs this aeroplane took a fair bit of punishment and was able to bring is pilots home on many an occasion. The weapons it carried had the same firepower as a broadside from a Navy cruiser. Typhoons put it simply ate German Armour for Breakfast!!

The Aircraft I will be doing is from 247 Squadron that was based in Eindhoven by the end of 1944

This is the Pilots BIO:

Gerald Stapleton was born in Durban, South Africa in 1920. In January 1939 he took up a short service commission in the RAF and eventually joined 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron in December 1939, prior to becoming one of the outstanding fighter pilots of the Battle of Britain, accounting for nearly twenty enemy aircraft destroyed, probably destroyed or damaged. Indeed all his scores were achieved on Spitfires during this Battle and he was revered as one of Richard Hillary's contemporaries in whose book The Last Enemy, he features.

Nicknamed 'Stapme' after a phrase used in his favourite cartoon 'Just Jake', in February 1942 he became flight commander of 257 Squadron, then joined 2 ADF at Colerne the following year before becoming a gunnery instructor at RAF Kenley and Central Gunnery School, Catfoss. He returned to ops in August 1944 to command 247 Squadron on Typhoons. He received the Dutch Flying Cross for his part in the Arnhem operations. Forced to land inside German lines in December 1944, he spent the rest of the war in Stalag Luft I on the Baltic coast. Postwar he joined BOAC, then returned to South Africa but has now retired to England where he is a very popular figure at numerous air shows during the year.

Without doubt he was one of the real 'characters' to survive the war and to many the quintessential image of a Battle of Britain fighter pilot.

Stamped sadly Passed away aged 89 in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Stapleton

No. 247 was heavily involved in attacks prior to and including D-Day. Targets included transport systems, and weapon emplacements as well as providing close air support to ground forces. On 27 June 1944, the Squadron moved to Coulombs in Normandy, beginning the subsequent drive through France, Belgium, the Netherlands and into Germany. 247 ended being a Bloodhound missile Squadron before being Disbanded in 1963

All in all quite an apt choice for Airfix to bring out and to make for this GB.
Cheers

George

vw8243

Re: Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1/72

Postby vw8243 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:15 pm

Nice one G.
Very nice bit a history with this one , perhaps some a my flak whizzzzzzed past him around D.day :lol:
Image Image

eoinfinnegan

Postby eoinfinnegan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:20 pm

It's a very nice kit, good luck with the build

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 11, 2014 8:51 pm

Right Started this all arseways, Wife threw out the instructions but we have lift off.

Cheers

George

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Amazon have these for STG75, Seems like a Bargain for a kit with 500+ parts. Tempted but really do I need one :!: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :oX
Cheers

George

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Tried to order one, 20 quid Delivery and between STG - Eur conversions the total order come out at E126.12. Too much for me really for a lump of plastic. :(
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun May 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Nice start G! Same about the instructions but could you not get them online? Though I'm sure this is an easy kit to figure out. You'd want to get wife sorted out… instructions will only be the start of it. Next thing you'll see you stash slowly reducing in size ;)

Georgeconna wrote:Amazon have these for STG75, Seems like a Bargain for a kit with 500+ parts. Tempted but really do I need one :!: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :oX

One of THESE for £75… a 1:72 Typhoon?? :lol: I doubt that! Looks like you're on the wrong topic dude. The new 1:24 scale topic is what you're looking for. And no, you don't need one! Do you not get freaked out over the size of your stash? That was a whole room!!! I'm still in shock. Step away from the plastic!

V [smilie=thumb.gif]

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 11, 2014 11:39 pm

yeah 1/24, Nah mate, not a whole lot on the Net, No PDF that Airfix could send me, Started by glueing up the Wheel wells onto the wings. Big Mistake, Should of glued to Fues with the Wells attached then glue em on to the wing, Nothing like making life hard!!

your rite bout the plastic man, Got the Vixen for the Same as that kit. Daft!!
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun May 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Georgeconna wrote:Got the Vixen for the Same as that kit. Daft!!

And far better fun!!

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Small bit more done on the tiffie, Spent about an hour last night looking for the Spinner back plate only to find it stuck to a cutting mat I used for Masking tape!!

Cheers

George

Return to “The D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build”