D Day soldiers tribute monument 1/35

BrIAN332

D Day soldiers tribute monument 1/35

Postby BrIAN332 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Also remembering that i have another Italeri 1/35 landing craft model in the stash, kinda hard not to avoid it everytime i look at the stash coz its one of the biggest boxes in there :? ....i knew that there is six figures that come with that kit which i knew would come in handy one day.

The figs are actually Dragon figs which is a huge bonus as they really produce some great figures and the poses of these D Day figs are class and just what im looking for.

So the plan is to do a statue/monument by using the figs and will paint them in a bronze type color or some metalic finish anyhow. I will source a suitable size base/plinth for the figures and hopfully this will work out as planed.

The second Italeri landing craft kit from my stash which includes the figures for this project

The figures sprue and poses

So i think with the figures together they should make for a good D Day Tribute monument, the D Day monument in Bedford Virginia is a good base to start anyhow for reference and something to base this project on

Some of the figures for that monument in the artists workshop, the detail on these figures is amazing

So thats the plan for my second project, these figures in my stash would never probably have seen the light of day so this group build is a good way of putting them to a good use ;)

I probably wont use all six figures with three or four being enough i think, the size of the base anyhow will determine the decision

Cheers, Brian :o)b

Spud

Re: D Day soldiers tribute monument 1/35

Postby Spud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Ok now hats off to ya Brian for coming up with that idea that is awesome.

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Another great idea your going to be busy Brian next year :)

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Fair play Brian, always thinking outside the box for something creative and unique. It should make for a very nice tribute. Will you be painting the figures bronze and so on? (edit: Just read your post more thoroughly and I see you are planning on that)

Those figures in the artists workshop are outstanding!! :o

Cheers!
Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:58 am

Hi Brian
Go for this big time .
Great idea you see a lot a these mon in France , it will look great with the figs in bronze . [smilie=thumb.gif]
Image Image

martay

Postby martay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Bloody great idea Brian, well done, this is gonna be a very striking piece, cant wait to see it :DX
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks lads, just something i thought of as a way to use these figures for this group build as i said they would probably have never been built otherwise.

I Constructed four of these figures anyhow and i think these four have the best poses from the six, and four will form a good grouping for the statue

Some lovely detail on the figures and plenty of accessory parts such as equipment to choose from

And how they look disembarking from the LCVP

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Looking good Brian!

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:38 pm

So i decided to do some more work on this project and i managed to make some good solid progress over the last while

I found a right sized base that i was looking for the figures in the shape of two end pieces from a section of unused of 1/35 Trumpeter railway track, without the tracks obviously, and joined together they formed the right size base for the four statue figures.

I used a section of scrap Airfix plastic to fill in under the gap sections, this was also handy for the base that i used for my Pantherturm diorama, the spares/scraps box always comes up trumps ;)

Using filler and then i adding some natural sand from a nearby beach i started to form the desired groundwork for the figures

Initial test fit of where the figures where will be positioned on the base for the statue layout

So with the groundwork taken care of for the time being it was back to work on the figures and the painting process begun on them.

Initially they got the metalic treatment and for this i used Tamiya metalic paint which gave them a suitable metalic appearance which i was pleased with.

The groundwork also got a few coats of metalic paint

Next up was the decision to give the figures a suitable bronze type statue appearance which is my main aim with these figures, for this i used AK streaking grime which when painted on and then wiped off gave me the perfect effect that i was looking for, with that remaining on most of the figures in the crevices and folds of the clothing etc while at the same time some of the metalic basework came through

First on one of the running figures to show the comparison with the three silver figures

All four together after getting the bronze effect treatment

And onto the base again

I worked in a few coats on the figures and more wiping off, i also used the AK streaking on the groundwork and also to form some rain marks on the base of the statue, pictures taken against a suitable D Day landing backround

So overall im very pleased with progress made and this one is going in the direction that i want it to go.

My next plan for this one is to form a suitable surround for the base with possibly a grass lawn type effect on either side and a small part at the front, also i plan on making a scale wreath which would be seen at the foot of war memorials ,with more of an American look obviously

So this is where i am with this project as part of the D day anniversary group build

Cheers, Brian :o)b

stephen8718

Postby stephen8718 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:09 pm

hi Brian that is looking really great. fair dues to you for having the foresight to build something different and eye catching compared to a aircraft or afv. looking forward to seeing the rest of it when its finished.

Return to “The D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build”