D Day soldiers tribute monument 1/35

Vinny

Re: D Day soldiers tribute monument 1/35

Postby Vinny » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 am

Excellent work Brian and such a unique idea. I really like the whole concept. The bronze with the AK streaking looks class! :DX

Looking forward to the next update!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks lads, they didnt turn out to bad at all and will do some more to the figures before they are finished, being toying with the idea of puting a railing around the monument as i have plenty of miniart railings in the stash which could come in very handy, a nice metalic effect should contrast well with the figures,just trying to work out the final presentation of this one :idea:

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 am

Nice idea about the railings Brian. It would definitely give the idea that it's a diorama of a monument to the ordinary viewer. Maybe have a old veteran laying a poppy wreath or something :oj I'm sure you'll come up with some creative anyway.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Vinny wrote:Nice idea about the railings Brian. It would definitely give the idea that it's a diorama of a monument to the ordinary viewer. Maybe have a old veteran laying a poppy wreath or something :oj

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Thanks Vinny, cool idea, im searching the net there for ideas, i think the railings will work and i also have a few 1/35 miniart benches which could come in handy as kind of a park layout,will decide on something anyhow, hopfully :?

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:29 am

Hey Brian
have a few figs that might do for the wreath laying seen your welcome to ?.
Image Image

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 am

Great dio there Brian :DX

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Cheers Leo, ill drop ya a PM there re figs, nice one

Thanks David :o)b

michael

Postby michael » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 am

That’s very unusual a statuesque finish. Well impressed another beauty from you Brian :DX :DX [smilie=bow.gif] [smilie=thumbsup02.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks Michael :)

So i also decided to get back to work on this project recently which i am determined to finish for this D Day Group Build.

Not overally happy with the original base that i made for the figures i decided to go back to basics and form an entirely new base and layout for the figures for the monument that i am trying to depict.

For the new base i used an old trophy base of which i have a few in my stash and these are ideal for these small projects

Some materials which i used for the project including fine natural sand from a nearby beach and also static grass from my LHS

1/35 scale railings which i used come from Miniart

So starting back out i formed the base by laying down a basework of filler and then added the natural sand and stippled this to form the desired groundwork effect that i wanted

I measured out where the railings where to go and these where fixed in place using superglue

For the inital grounwork paint i used dark gray and metalic acrylics, the railings where painted gun metal

Next up was the decision to form a natural looking grass edge border along the bottom of the railings and static grass was used for this and this worked out just as i had planed

So with the groundwork and surrounding railings and grass edging more or less taken care of, it was time to decide on the final location of the four soldier figures

After finally deciding on their positions i fixed them in place again using my trusty superglue ,one of the weapons on one of the front figures broke :evil: , so some reconstructive surgery had to be carried out on him

Some drybrushing was done on the groundwrok using buff color paint to highlight the raised areas and to break up the gray monotony

I also sanded some of the base and will be doing more work on that before finally finished with this one

So thats where i am with this one and will return to it again to finish off the fine detailing soon like more weathering on the railings and the figures themselves, but overall i am very pleased with how this is shaping up and hopfully it looks like what it is supposed to look like :roll:

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 am

Excellent work Brian and a great idea as well :DX

Return to “The D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build”