The figs are actually Dragon figs which is a huge bonus as they really produce some great figures and the poses of these D Day figs are class and just what im looking for.
So the plan is to do a statue/monument by using the figs and will paint them in a bronze type color or some metalic finish anyhow. I will source a suitable size base/plinth for the figures and hopfully this will work out as planed.
The second Italeri landing craft kit from my stash which includes the figures for this project
The figures sprue and poses
So i think with the figures together they should make for a good D Day Tribute monument, the D Day monument in Bedford Virginia is a good base to start anyhow for reference and something to base this project on
Some of the figures for that monument in the artists workshop, the detail on these figures is amazing
So thats the plan for my second project, these figures in my stash would never probably have seen the light of day so this group build is a good way of putting them to a good use
I probably wont use all six figures with three or four being enough i think, the size of the base anyhow will determine the decision
Those figures in the artists workshop are outstanding!!
I Constructed four of these figures anyhow and i think these four have the best poses from the six, and four will form a good grouping for the statue
Some lovely detail on the figures and plenty of accessory parts such as equipment to choose from
And how they look disembarking from the LCVP
I found a right sized base that i was looking for the figures in the shape of two end pieces from a section of unused of 1/35 Trumpeter railway track, without the tracks obviously, and joined together they formed the right size base for the four statue figures.
I used a section of scrap Airfix plastic to fill in under the gap sections, this was also handy for the base that i used for my Pantherturm diorama, the spares/scraps box always comes up trumps
Using filler and then i adding some natural sand from a nearby beach i started to form the desired groundwork for the figures
Initial test fit of where the figures where will be positioned on the base for the statue layout
So with the groundwork taken care of for the time being it was back to work on the figures and the painting process begun on them.
Initially they got the metalic treatment and for this i used Tamiya metalic paint which gave them a suitable metalic appearance which i was pleased with.
The groundwork also got a few coats of metalic paint
Next up was the decision to give the figures a suitable bronze type statue appearance which is my main aim with these figures, for this i used AK streaking grime which when painted on and then wiped off gave me the perfect effect that i was looking for, with that remaining on most of the figures in the crevices and folds of the clothing etc while at the same time some of the metalic basework came through
First on one of the running figures to show the comparison with the three silver figures
All four together after getting the bronze effect treatment
And onto the base again
I worked in a few coats on the figures and more wiping off, i also used the AK streaking on the groundwork and also to form some rain marks on the base of the statue, pictures taken against a suitable D Day landing backround
So overall im very pleased with progress made and this one is going in the direction that i want it to go.
My next plan for this one is to form a suitable surround for the base with possibly a grass lawn type effect on either side and a small part at the front, also i plan on making a scale wreath which would be seen at the foot of war memorials ,with more of an American look obviously
So this is where i am with this project as part of the D day anniversary group build
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest