D Day LCVP/Higgins Boat Italeri 1/35

BrIAN332

D Day LCVP/Higgins Boat Italeri 1/35

Postby BrIAN332 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Okay here we go with this one, one of my projects for this D Day 70th Anniversary Group Build as i plan on doing a few builds including something German related, not sure just yet as i have a few ideas in mind, but for now i will be concentrating on doing something different for me, an American subject, as most of my models either have German crosses on them or Red Stars :o|

This one needs little or no introduction anyhow, the famous and widely used LCVP(Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel) or Higgins boat that played a massive and important role on D Day in Normandy.

The kit itself ive had in the stash for ages and so this group build is the perfect excuse to build it. I wont be attempting anything ambitious like a landing scene diorama but instead just building the model as a static display model and probably just mount it on the display stand that comes with the kit

Box art and sprues

Construction of this was an absolute breeze, no flash and very little clean up involved and perfect fit all round.

Im toying with the idea of displaying the model as a monument as when i was in Normandy a good few years back i remember seeing one of these on display, will see anyhow after the model is built and painted.

Cheers, Brian :o)b

Spud

Re: D Day LCVP/Higgins Boat Italeri 1/35

Postby Spud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:42 pm

is that a shiny new table cutting mat is see :P

I love this idea and ild love to see how you do the inserted name

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Looking forward to seeing this build Brian :)

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Great choice Brian and I really like the monument idea. Looking forward to this one as you always treat us to some great ideas, techniques and details.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Yer off yer head fella, how many projects have ya on the go for this now 200 ? more?? jokes aside i am astounded by the volume of work you take on Brian, i couldnt even think of that many kits in my cave to be built, how do ya do it, your gonna have the table taken over at the next fair, gonna have to rent one for your builds alone id say :D :D
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks lads. As regards doing as a monument display, i think i am going to go with a different idea now instead of how the LCVP will be displayed, and that is as a museum display boat, and i intend to utilize other spare parts that i have such as equipment, shells, helmets etc and have them on tables in front of the LCVP as would be seen in museums.

Planing a proper display base will involve obviously three sides and with black and white pics of D Day it should add good depth and a solid display behind the LCVP.

This LCVP on display in an American museum in New Orleans gives an idea of what i have planed

I will be modelling the ramp down as i think def adds more interest to the model, and one of the most abiding images of D Day is of troops disembarking from these crafts.

There is string that comes with the kit but i will probably replace this with a stronger wire

The model as stands now with just the figures im using for my monument/statue build in a typicl D Day action pose

Cheers, Brian :o)b

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Nice work Brian :o)b

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:46 pm

BrIAN332 wrote:i think i am going to go with a different idea now instead of how the LCVP will be displayed, and that is as a museum display boat, and i intend to utilize other spare parts that i have such as equipment, shells, helmets etc and have them on tables in front of the LCVP as would be seen in museums.

Excellent idea Brian! This will be very unique indeed! Looking forward to it [smilie=banana.gif]

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Return to “The D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build”