French Air Force Mirage F.1B D-Day 60th Anniversary Markings

Vinny

French Air Force Mirage F.1B D-Day 60th Anniversary Markings

Postby Vinny » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Hey guys, this will be my entry for the GB build… I don't know why I'm entering it as I still haven't finished any of my other builds but sometimes it does the modeling soul good to start something new. I won't be starting this until the new year so maybe in January some time but I thought I get the thread set up anyway for when I do begin.

It's a French Air Force Dassault Mirage F.1B in 60th Anniversary of D-Day markings… a very cool looking aircraft and one that I don't have in the stash!

I picked up the 1:48 Model Alliance decals at Telford when I saw them in the half price box at the Hannants stall. I thought they'd be perfect for the D-Day build so with only five minutes left in the show before we started to get booted I snapped them up.

I figured I'd pick up the Mirage kit from Marks Models when I got back to Cork as I was convinced Italeri did an F.1B. Of course I was wrong and the F.1B has not been very well covered over the years with only one model in 1:48 being produced by Fonderie Miniature (never heard of them) which has made getting hold of one almost impossible! Well thankfully the F.1B market changed this year and Kitty Hawk came to the rescue with a beautiful model which came boxed with the D-Day Anniversary markings.

The KittyHawk kit was starring me in the face at a lot of stalls at Telford and it really tempted me but at around £40+ that is outside of my range for a model that size. Luckily for me it was recently listed on LuckyModel in their pre-Christmas early saver sale at a very reasonable price. After a bit of humming and hawing (I've enough kits in the stash already) I decided to go for it as it's an aircraft I didn't have in the collection. So the kit should be here next week hopefully… it seems to be taking its time with the Xmas rush I guess.

The kit box art is shown below, and I will post the usual sprue shots when I get the model. From the reviews it goes together really well which is something I need after the battles I've had with models recently. So it should be an easy build… I should not have said that!

This kit will be built OOB with no added extras. It's already a pricey enough kit so it really shouldn't need anything else.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Spud

Re: French Air Force Mirage F.1B D-Day 60th Anniversary Mark

Postby Spud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:49 am

Now I'm putting it to you that you have to Finish this on or before June 6th other wise ima Shave a bald patch right trough the middle of that head of hair :D

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Spud wrote:Now I'm putting it to you that you have to Finish this on or before June 6th other wise ima Shave a bald patch right trough the middle of that head of hair :D

Now that's a way to get me motivated! I better get my skids on after Xmas then!
[smilie=scared0016.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 pm

yep and just to make sure i have a wireless shaver and Duct Tape :D

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:46 pm

nice, Just went down to paddy power to stick a tennor on this being finished and they said not a hope. 8/2 that the cockpit gets down and the fuselage closed...left it off :lol:

Why dont you jut paint the An-12 in D-day stripes man!!!
Cheers

George

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:19 am

Come on Vinny you can do it :o)b
Image Image

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey chaps!

The kit arrived on Friday and it's oh so nice! :P Box is compact and comes densely packed with plastic. [smilie=tasty.gif]

The contents:

Decals and etch fret:

I'll probably paint on the Invasion Stripes instead of using the decals as I'll have more control over the colours and fading.

Sprue Trees:

The sprue trees came folded so that they fit in the box. They had to be snapped open. Plastic looks great with nice engraved surface detail and very little flash to clean up. Clear parts are crystal clear.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this in the new year.

Thanks for looking,

Vinny

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 pm

thats a lota plastic, and this worry's me...... :P

Lego

Postby Lego » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:55 am

Looks a real beauty that.

Return to “The D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build”