Caen - Knocked out Tiger

Lego

Caen - Knocked out Tiger

Postby Lego » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:30 am

Brief history from wiki.

"The Battle for Caen from June–August 1944 was a battle between Allied (primarily British and Canadian troops) and German forces during the Battle of Normandy.
Originally, the Allies aimed to take the French city of Caen, one of the largest cities in Normandy, on D-Day. Caen was a vital objective for several reasons. Firstly, it lay astride the Orne River and Caen Canal; these two water obstacles could strengthen a German defensive position if not crossed. Secondly, Caen was a road hub; in German hands it would enable the enemy to shift forces rapidly. Thirdly, the area around Caen was relatively open, especially compared to the bocage country in the west of Normandy. This area was valued for airfield construction.
On D-Day, Caen was an objective for the British 3rd Infantry Division and remained the focal point for a series of battles throughout June, July and into August. The battle did not go as planned for the Allies, instead dragging on for two months, because German forces devoted most of their reserves to holding Caen, particularly their badly needed armor reserves. As a result German forces facing the American invasion thrust further west were spread thin, relying on the rough terrain of the back country to slow down the American advance. With so many German divisions held up defending Caen, the American forces were eventually able to break through to the south and east, threatening to encircle the German forces in Normandy from behind.
The old city of Caen—with many buildings dating back to the Middle Ages—was largely destroyed by Allied bombing and the fighting. The reconstruction of Caen lasted until 1962. Today, little of the pre-war city remains".

I am thinking of smashing a tiger up on this dio :D I recently got these and the zvesda kit deserves to be smashed imo. Tiger 233 a grey tigger was in normandy at this time as well which is one featured in this kit.

Last edited by Lego on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spud

Re: Caen - to be decided 1/35

Postby Spud » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:38 pm

lol. interesting to say teh least. knocked out tiggy will be nice

Lego

Postby Lego » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Ok, so finally got around to this sorry for the late start but the weather is too good.

Miniart - first time building a kit.

The plastic is shite, no other words about it. Brittle crap that snaps really easily and smells like your neighbour is burning something he should not be when you sand it. Made me gag a few times cannot emphasis how bad it smelled.

The fit

Absolute rubbish. I thought I was in the movie airplane when lining the sides up and finally decided to match the top of the front building up first and work from there as no matter what side you chose you where out on another.

I worked it so one side would be the worst but even still it was a huge gap.

Used a lot of plasto and will have a look after a night setting.

Zvesda Tiger

Warped hull so used hot water and electrical tape to get it back into shape over a good few weeks. New territory for me and probably did it wrong but I got it back into shape with only a tiny few stretch marks.

Great interior on the inside but let down by a crap load of sink marks. At least twenty or more and I will lightly fill them but not really interested in the interior to be honest.

Little dry fit showing a little buckling but I don't think it will lead to any major probs.

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 pm

look forward to see how you progress with this as i have the very same miniart kit for a diorama gb somewhere in december and ive never done one before either!! ,,,,im a bit worried by those gaps lol @o)

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Blimey, you've got your work cut out with this one. You certainly didn't make me want to go out and buy one of those mini art buildings. I can't believe the smell nearly made you gag :o

The tank has some nice looking detail at least.

Will be following this one.
Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:34 am

does the kit just come with a turret interior or is there more?

Very nice so far,

Lego

Postby Lego » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:45 pm

I don't see anything else spudders. But I cannot complain really, I paid €24 from lucky and it even has figures with it.

I know it should be a late tiger for this dio but I have never made one and this seemed a nice cheap option he he he. Damn it I thought I had a cupola left over from the sturmtiger but no. So with have to leave the huge pimple on the top :(

Lego

Re: Caen - Knocked out Tiger

Postby Lego » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Ok, where to start

Boring smooth gate gotta change that. Used a bit of spuds tutorial on wood. Scratched it up a bit.

Masked and painted a bit

Batch of bricks

Painted and weather the gate

Cut up a little clear plastic off my daughters doll box and tried making a bit of broken glass.

Mud and water marks

Tried the paste method after I used miliput the last time. I like the haphazard application for me is better but damn it is messy.

Made some holes in the side

Camo

More mud

Oh sweet jesus i hated the tracks because you had to put the individual teeth on each track. Frikkin stupid but I liked the track once assembled.

And now we do the chippins

Chopped the figure just a little to bend his leg a little.

Nearly there so burn it out

Rusted the bolts and where I think water would sit

I left some wheels in a different colour so it would look like they had been replaced at some point.

Finished

Hope you like it. Learned so much on this build and I now like Tigers :) But I am done with Zvesda. After the T90 in my stash never again.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Splendid work Lego! :DX I think this turned out really well. You gave some nice attention to detail overall. The broken glass looks cool and the wood on the door turned out class! Nice tricks :o)b

Thanks for sharing and well done, you are right to be proud of it.

Cheers!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 am

thats Awesome Lego, Really nice Job,

Return to “The D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build”