Iron Man 2: The Iron Man Mk.VI

Vinny

Iron Man 2: The Iron Man Mk.VI

Postby Vinny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Good evening gents!

Here is my second build for the ISM Goes to The Movies GB. It's the Iron Man Mk.VI

The Mk.VI suit appeared in Iron Man 2 in the second half of the movie. Here's a great scene with the Iron Man Mk.VI in action with the War Machine against some drones. Turn those speakers up... or down of you don't like some loud metal-on-metal and explosion sound effects.

See that?
Yeah, yeah, nice!

The Kit

The figure is in 1:8 scale and manufactured by Moebius. I'm getting to like these Moebius kits and, depending on how well this one turns out, I think I'll buy their Iron Man Mk.III and War Machine. These are going for £9.99 in Modelzone so next time I get to one of their stores I'll probably be walking away with those kits. Or else put them on my Telford shopping list. It's a pity Marks Models doesn't get the Moebius range in stock. With all the Batman and superhero kits, I'm sure they'd sell pretty good.

The kit looks excellent out of the the box with clean mouldings and little or no flash. I don't see much trouble with this one (I hoped I haven't just jinxed myself [smilie=pray.gif] ) but I do see a lot of seam clean up ahead. As I'll be using Alclad metallics, these seams will have to be perfectly invisible. The kit also comes with a base of broken ground with some odd looking round part in the middle... I haven't figured out what it is yet. When complete the figure should stand just over 9" tall.

Sprue tree shots:

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this in the next couple of days as it's something totally new for me... maybe I'll even get to cut some sprue tonight!

Stay tuned!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Lego

Re: Iron Man 2: The Iron Man Mk.VI

Postby Lego » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 am

Looking forward to this. I presume alclad 2 sparkly paint?

Mobius also do nice Battlestar galactica models I believe.

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:50 am

Wow this will be class Vinny,great to see you doing another build as well,i think we are all spoiled for choice with all the movies that we like for this group build :D .....looking forward to following this one and its a great size/scale figure as well,very cool 8-)

Brian :o)b

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:19 am

i will deffo be watching this cos i nearly bought one last week.....ive got ideas about using led's to light it up

Biskup

Postby Biskup » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:40 am

"Off course you know this means war" ;)
Well I will be watching this ;)
An Iron Man that looks like Iron Man. That's a bit different to what I was doing ;)

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Vinny wrote: These are going for £9.99 in Modelzone

the Black Widow figure is even cheaper! :o

seriously thinking about getting the mk III...........if i can find an excuse to pop into the city over the next few days, so i can call in MZ ;)

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:32 pm

I used to read loads of those comics.
Then nothing for a while.
Then I became a fan of Spiderman and got loads of comics.
Then someone gave me because of that a comic from Violator which had an appearance of Spawn and hoppa I became a Spawn collector...have nearly the whole series!

In those days there was an Ironman cartoon with great bombastic music intro, stories were very good and although I hardly read his comics I think I liked both Ironman and Spawn best.
Later I noticed there were models from Moebius (red ones and chrome ones) which looked really good but since I never had interest in building a puppet I never did.
That seems to have changed since the Ironman bust by Biskup and your kit...haha so I will get me something sooner than later....hope there is a Spawn (by Capullo, not from the original artist or the movie)

I have known about the Moebius kits a while but never got one, they are interesting because they have a special range that I like...btw Moebius's full size graphic novels were also my favourite because they were also in a different league: great drawings and stories (fantasy-dark-sexy-cruel-horror-strange-etc). I don't know how well known they are in Ireland.
Most of the graphic novels were and are by French or Belgian artists.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for the interest lads!

Lego wrote:Looking forward to this. I presume alclad 2 sparkly paint?

Yup, Alclad 2 but if you mean their sparkly paint as in their Prismatic-Holomatic range then no. I wouldn't mind trying them out on a project someday though. For this I'll be mainly using their Pale Gold, Steel and Gold Titanium. For the red I'll be spraying Tamiya clear red over the Gold Titanium to get that candy look. Very similar to what Lukasz did on his Iron Man bust. Seeing as the "real" Iron Man suit is made out of a gold and titanium alloy then I hope this method will achieve some good results. Yeah, I think I'll go with this... already planning the painting and masking procedure in my head.

Lego wrote:Mobius also do nice Battlestar galactica models I believe.

Yeah, they do some really nice kits. I'm very impressed by them. I'd be tempting by their Invisible Man... looks like a sweet project. Of course this is the one I'll definitely be parting cash for.

beowulf wrote:i will deffo be watching this cos i nearly bought one last week.....ive got ideas about using led's to light it up

Go for it! I thought about lighting it up but I haven't done anything like that before so I won't bother... it'll only slow the project down and I don't want to get bogged down again for a while :D I might go with lighting up the Tumbler. 8-)

beowulf wrote:the Black Widow figure is even cheaper! :o

seriously thinking about getting the mk III...........if i can find an excuse to pop into the city over the next few days, so i can call in MZ ;)

You know you want to Paul! :lol: Do it! If I was living near a ModelZone I'd be walking out of that shop with them. I've no interest in Black Widow though... she looks awesome [smilie=tasty.gif] but it involves painting skin tone and hair :( I'm just not ready for that.

I also found out that Moebius did the Mk. II suit but it's hard enough to get at a decent price. Here's hoping they repop it some day.

Biskup wrote:"Off course you know this means war" ;)
Well I will be watching this ;)
An Iron Man that looks like Iron Man. That's a bit different to what I was doing ;)

:lol: I hope mine turns out as good as yours Lukasz!

Cheers fellas!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Simson

Postby Simson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:15 pm

There are also Ironman dolls by Dragon nowadays.

I think they have more parts and may have more detail, but they probably are pretty expensive.
Seen a few for €100 and more!

Vinny, that mark on the base resembles something I have seen before but am not sure where.
I have an inkling it's something to do with the moulding process for harder plastics, like an oversized ejector pin with 4 little prongs. (is the plastic harder than normal btw?)

If it is it should have been in the foot prints or at least more at the centre.
I would fill the 4 holes and maybe disguise the roundy shape a bit.

Dennis

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Vinny wrote:Go for it! I thought about lighting it up but I haven't done anything like that before so I won't bother... it'll only slow the project down and I don't want to get bogged down again for a while :D I might go with lighting up the Tumbler. 8-)

lol...ive never tried it either but i have a bold and cunning plan (by that i mean cheap and simple :lol: )

know someone in NZ who lighting a Deep Space 9 from Star Trek......thing is its with a zillion miles of fibre optics, hes had to learn how to make circuit boards to control it all, all new to him........taken 2 years to get to the painting stage!!

Return to “ISM Goes To The Movies”