Star Trek 3 & 4 - the Search for Spock/ the Journey Home

Prenton

Star Trek 3 & 4 - the Search for Spock/ the Journey Home

Postby Prenton » Fri May 31, 2013 9:12 pm

My entry for this Group Build - and my first one on ISM - will be based on the star of these two iconic films. No - not William Shatner or Leonard Nimoy - but the Klingon Bird of Prey.

In the first of these two linked films, the Federation lads craftily defeat their adversaries by allowing the Klingons to transport over to the Enterprise, while they transport over to the Klingon's ship. But the Enterprise is rigged to self-destruct, so the Klingons are destroyed and Captain Kirk and his crew end up piloting the Bird of Prey. Having found Spock, they travel back to Earth, in the second of the two films, in order to solve the problem of the Alien ship that is destroying the Earth's weather...Spock deduces that the Alien ship is looking for whales, but they of course have been made extinct by Man's depradations. There is nothing for it but to use the famous "slingshot around the Sun" manoeuvre, to travel back in time to 1986, to San Francisco, where they pick up a couple of whales and go forward again in time to save the day, and the Earth.

As suggested by Vinny, here are two stills from the films:-

The Bird of Prey, on Vulcan, where they pick up Spock:-

The Bird of Prey over the north Pacific, where they save the whales from being harpooned by the whalers:-

And here is the box top from the kit - a rather old AMT/ERTL one, dating from 1995, that I have had in my stash for some time (you can probably see the dust!).

More details, including the normal sprue shots, next time!

Quaplagh!

Philip

Spud

Re: Star Trek 3 & 4 - the Search for Spock/ the Journey Hom

Postby Spud » Fri May 31, 2013 11:36 pm

'This wil be cool :)

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:30 am

Cool! Very unusual craft you've got there Philip. Some nice weathering potential with this one. What size will the completed model be?

Excellent topic setup too with some nice background info :o)b

Looking forward to this!
Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Biskup

Postby Biskup » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 pm

That's a very nice looking ship :) Will be watching :)

Return to “ISM Goes To The Movies”