The Last Chase, Lotus Type 79 1978 JPS F1 Car

Vinny

Re: The Last Chase, Lotus Type 79 1978 JPS F1 Car

Postby Vinny » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:04 pm

That's some nice etch you got there Dennis. This build is going to be something else with all that detail. 8-)

If the etch is bending when you're cutting it then maybe it has something to do with the surface you're using? For etch it's best to cut it on a hard surface like glass (the glass panel from a photo frame is perfect) or maybe a hard kitchen chopping board (the smooth hard plastic or marble kind).

Can't wait to see this beauty come together.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Simson

Postby Simson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks, I'll do my best.
The shiny black plastic is one hell of a shadow to work with..you see not what you do!
Loads of fingerprints too, but they'll be washed off later prior to priming...probably with alcohol.

The black plastic is btw fantastic stuff: really dense and good to cut and sand smooth again.
The grey plastic for the engine is really soft and easy to damage, so they used different types of plastic.

I always cut the edge on something that doesn't bend like an aluminium plate or a ceramic tile or indeed I have a thick glass supporting thing that I confiscated from GF.
But this etch is pretty hard to cut through so I gave that up and just use a thin snipper that cuts it nicely and then a bit filing the sharp remainders smooth....so no prob anymore.

This is a very nice kit.
It requires a bit of planning what to paint separate and what after gluing to something.
This car has internal detail so I need to paint inside and outside.
For assembly I need CA iso cement to prevent glue dissolving paint etc.

The middle part stays loose and I think I can keep the whole outer top also loose because it seems to clip in slots, however the instructions don't mention to keep it loose at all...so we'll see when all the bits are added if it still comes off and also if it stays on.
I don't like to see gaping seams.

I've done a bit more but I cannot upload photos to Photobucket, does anyone have a problem with that too?
It takes ages and then it tells it has failed!

Dennis

Simson

Postby Simson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:02 am

Hi guys,
I only managed to upload one pic......had 5 more which kept on failing??????????? :?

Had also finished several sub assemblies that get the same main colour.
First I remove seams and clean up the parts and then make one sub assembly at the time.
Most of them need several parts still added because they need different colours, which I do as much as possible before gluing them on.

The pic shows the following parts loose together:
* the engine w/o heads, cables, inlets/outlets and side parts
* gearbox with an etch "mesh" and plug (the stainless etch needed heating to bend, way too stiff)
* disc brake with etch ...the brake is on the gearbox iso the wheel (makes the wheel lighter, so more responsive to road)
* drive shaft system...I drilled out the little dents in them

Next up is smoothening of the body parts, all loose bits iso one piece, and then priming soon.

Dennis

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Nice start Dennis

Simson

Postby Simson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Thank you, it's a fun kit.

Have you picked a kit yet?

Dennis

Simson

Postby Simson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:54 pm

So, managed to upload a few more pics.

This is half the car body...it is made up of loose pieces.
Most F1 car models in this scale have bodies in 2 or 3 pieces but this thing many more so it needs putty and sanding. There were also a few small sink marks at the bulkier more solid areas.
That's the problem with injection moulding of this plastic: shrink stresses during uncontrolled cooling.
There are plenty of small seam lines and a couple of pinmarks to take care off.
The plastic is very smooth and it marks very easily so it will require lots of wet sanding prior to priming.
I try to avoid using putty and need to check which seams are real seams because the F1 cars of this era were riveted as well.
The left radiator has pe covers....I chose to use the same radiators at each side iso one side with an oil cooler..that would have resulted in the left side with one outlet hole and the right side with two.
I thought both sides the same is nicer but now I'm not sure, the other option was not bad either...anyway cannot change it w/o damage so it stays.

A few more parts.
Even the wings have pin marks...didn't expect that!
The sides of the wings are doubled pe pieces.
I like the disc brakes with pe fronts....the front brakes will be hidden except for what you see through the spokes.
The rear ones will be seen because they are next to the gear box iso the wheel hub.

The top is made up of 14 parts and it all fits very well.
I like the wheels with the gold centres.

The rear wing sides are also doubled pe with inserted adjustment strips and bolt holes...they are thinner than the plastic parts and may need filling at the edges and smoothening so the seam is gone.
One half was very thin and the other one pretty stiff.

This is the front of the fuel tank right behind the pilot. It has pe on the top (whatever that is..filler plug?) and at the front edge..probably reinforcement.

The plastic is very black and it is hard to see details when working, have to move it under the light all the time. [smilie=hypnotised.gif]
I expect to find plenty of spots that need smoothening after priming.

D

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 am

Excellent work so far Dennis :DX That etch is sweet! Love those brake discs. Yeah, black isn't the greatest colour to work with but it does get easier the more dust it gets from sanding and so on. The dust goes into any scratches and it becomes very easy to see flaws then.

The chrome wheels look great!

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks Vinny

Return to “ISM Goes To The Movies”