Who is actually the beast here? T-55A

Spud

Re: Who is actually the beast here? T-55A

Postby Spud » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 am

ah cool.

Simson

Postby Simson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:13 pm

The 2nd book and the barrels arrived in the post today.
The MG is very detailed and has pe bits.
The tank gun barrel is one piece w/o any loose bits or pe...so just stick it on.

The barrel has a thicker bit at its end which is the bore evacuator.....this thing creates a purge after the shot that sucks the gasses in the barrel forward....hence the plume of smoke blowing out of the gun after the shot.
Lot healthier for the crew when they open the breech for the next shot.

Before this they didn't have that so the fumes would ventilate into the turret causing several unwanted effects.
That's why tanks had ventilators in the turret roofs...but still bah.

I always wanted to get me a small lathe to machine parts myself.
Maybe a combination lathe-milling tool.

These barrels are easy enough to machine by hand...just mind the intermediate tapers so the transitions are as invisible as possible.
Any muzzle blast deflecting screw on thing (whatsitsnameagain) will be a much greater challenge......need a lathe and a milling machine.
Would be great fun btw.

Those after market barrels are all CNC machined so very quickly and therefore they are quite cheap.....way below 10 euros.

D

Simson

Postby Simson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 pm

The 2nd book and the barrels arrived in the post today.
The MG is very detailed and has pe bits.
The tank gun barrel is one piece w/o any loose bits or pe...so just stick it on.

The barrel has a thicker bit at its end which is the bore evacuator.....this thing creates a purge after the shot that sucks the gasses in the barrel forward....hence the plume of smoke blowing out of the gun after the shot.
Lot healthier for the crew when they open the breech for the next shot.

Before this they didn't have that so the fumes would ventilate into the turret causing several unwanted effects.
That's why tanks had ventilators in the turret roofs...but still bah.

I always wanted to get me a small lathe to machine parts myself.
Maybe a combination lathe-milling tool.

These barrels are easy enough to machine by hand...just mind the intermediate tapers so the transitions are as invisible as possible.
Any muzzle blast deflecting screw on thing (whatsitsnameagain) will be a much greater challenge......need a lathe and a milling machine.
Would be great fun btw.

Those after market barrels are all CNC machined so very quickly and therefore they are quite cheap.....way below 10 euros.

D

Simson

Postby Simson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm

O yeah, it's a muzzle brake at the end of several cannon barrels.
Less recoil and directs blast shockwave sideways so it doesn't create a dust cloud that obscures the view for the result of the shot or the aim of the next.

D

Simson

Postby Simson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 pm

So, a bit more done.
Added the parts belonging to back and top except where I want to detail them so nothing will be in my way to do that.

The 4 hatches have black mesh attached and the two small ones are supposed to be open for ventilation...hinging backwards...however on this tank version the hinges are at the sides.....so maybe I can sort something otherwise I leave them closed.
Tamiya made this model with loose hatches and inserted cover piece so the super detailer can add aftermarket parts like engine, filters, tanks, etc ...mostly resin pieces incl new insert with loose main hatch for engine and keep the other hatches also open. Nice touch.

Several parts from front are still missing.
AND....I dropped a toolbox and couldn't find it yet so that has jumped somewhere underneath the desk I bet.
Manana.

Dennis

Simson

Postby Simson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi,
Worked a bit on the turret.

Removed moulded conduit and replaced by brass and plastic junction box, connected the little night light with thin brass and added and connected an infra red rear light. The IR rear light is not part of the kit but I liked it on because of night fighting etc in hostile environment like Afghanistan is.

Stuck the barrel on because the main IR lamp has to follow the barrel elevation.
Also added junction boxes and new conduit after removing the moulded one (ugly thing).
The main IR is connected with thin brass and the side light with even thinner brass wire.

Also finished the side boxes for the turret, not on yet....need to put little tie down handles on first and a few other things.

The bulky liners around the hatches are nuclear protective material at the outside covered with metal sheet.
(I put them on because I liked them better than the naked hatches, since the real tank used in the movie was an Israeli one with total different configuration I take that little artistic freedom here)
They put that outside because it didn't fit at the inside of the hatch.
The rest of the tank has internal protection added, the hatch covers are also covered at the outside with this stuff: layer of lead.
This stuff was only on the USSR tanks (so incl their satellite states) but not on the export models to others countries all over the world so the USSR didn't want nuclear protection on potential future enemy tanks.

Dennis

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 am

Very neat and tidy modelling you're doing there Dennis. I like all the attention to detail. Great work. :DX

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Simson

Postby Simson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:22 am

Thanks Vinny.
It's still going well but I'm dreading the diorama set up
That will be trial and trial and trial and errors
I will find out my limitations soon

dennis

martay

Postby martay » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 am

Nice work Dennis i like the brass wire to the IR rear light you added, takin it step by step and doing a very clean job
M
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:52 am

Nice extra detailed work as always Dennis,looking forward to the diorama :o)b

Return to “ISM Goes To The Movies”