IPMS Ireland Nationals 2012 [15-16 September]

Past events from 2012
Georgeconna

Re: IPMS Ireland Nationals 2012 [15-16 September]

Postby Georgeconna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 am

whats with the cellotape and sisscors, is it a resin kit?, Wel done though!!
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:07 am

[smilie=first.gif] Best in Show!!!! I love the concept behind it.

Good man Anon! Thanks for posting up some more. Now I can REALLY see them... and I think some of them looked better when I saw them on your phone after a couple of beers. Do you see what I meant about the framing around the cockpit of the EP-3E Aries? That's not competition standard I'm afraid. Harsh but I have an eye for detail and when something is entered into competition it's going to come under scrutiny.

Looking back on the IMSS show thread in May I think their event topped the IPMS show this year. Far more interesting models/dioramas on show, more variety, and just more... colour! I look at the models on show at the IPMS gig and am overwhelmed by the sense of drabness. That's just me though as I'm not a fan of too much grey and greens and I like difficult special liveries and so on. For me there was no WOW [smilie=yikes.gif] model and nothing really stood out... maybe that's why the B-17 shone out of the dreariness and really grabbed my attention. But saying all that the overall standard was good anyway. The venue had nothing on Dublin Castle either and seemed to be very sterile. What was it like in reality? It was a nice bonus having the simulators etc at the venue if you quickly went through the models. I think the over all standard seemed that bit higher at the IMSS show even though a few showed up again last weekend. Again, I'm just judging things your photos, we're all allowed an opinion and I'm a fussy git!

XT896 wrote:Have I seen the two 'What If' Typhoons before, they look familiar?

Yeah, I think they've been doing the rounds for a bit as I thought the same thing. We've probably seen them sitting next to another Irish Air Corps "What-if" Typhoon with an Aer Lingus Shamrock on the tail. :o8

Thanks for sharing... it's got me in the mood for Scale ModelWorld [smilie=thumbsup02.gif]

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

AlcatrazLogan

Postby AlcatrazLogan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am

I had my reservations about the venue when I was travelling down on Friday but I have to admit it topped Dublin Castle quite easily. Dublin Castle has bad lighting, there's never enough of it coming through the skylights so the competition area is always rather dim.

Down in Shannon the competition area was in a long glass conservatory area and so was cast in natural light the entire weekend. You couldn't ask for better lighting. There wasn't as many competition entries this year as we were hoping but there were enough for a good competition. As soon as I can get a good line on some pictures I'll provide them too you.

Overall everyone had a good weekend and hopefully next year will be even better.

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:48 am

The IMMS show was pretty cramped as well and the light was cronic, There are only so many modellers willing to bring their kits along to show off so unless you're prepared to bring summit along of course you gonna have the same models doing the rounds.
Cheers

George

AlcatrazLogan

Postby AlcatrazLogan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:05 am

The next IMSS show is going to be in Collins Barracks as the Coach House is apparently booked out for the entire year of 2013.

That should improve their lighting conditions but the last time it was in Collins Barracks it was pretty cramped as well.

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Cool, gives me a reason to go to the museum as well!!.
Cheers

George

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I think holding it over two days is silly 1day is enough, same goes for the imms show, one day is plenty.

AlcatrazLogan

Postby AlcatrazLogan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Last year when we held the competition in Dublin we ran into serious problems doing a one-day competition.

We need to assign several hours for competition registration which can take some time depending on the number of entries we get. Judging is also a long process as we have a lot of classes that need to be judged, each by two people, and we've only got so many we can rely on to judge. There's also several trophies to be judged as well.

Once the judging has been concluded we have to go over the paperwork to match entry numbers with modellers so we know who has won what. Unlike the IMSS we assign each model entered a unique number to provide a greater degree of impartiality. The IMSS assign a number to each modeller, they can tell if 5 models belong to the one guy and that sways their judging.

The awards ceremony also takes time to wrap up and then we need to clean up the venue. We were very rushed pulling it off in Dublin last year.

This year in Shannon we ran out of time judging on the first day and had to judge the trophies on the second day as well as sort out a clerical error that caused one class not to be judged.

So holding it over two days is really to give us some leeway otherwise everyone is rushing around all day and mistakes will be made.

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Can understand that perfectly but it does add to the cost if your bringing a model to display or even enter in Comp if your stuck in situ for 2 days. I reckon there no other way around it if theres a competion element involved. Its is a good social thing having a few bevs n all but not everyone can either afford it or take time out to do this either from work or the family gang but thats life.

I hear footfall was low from a chap taking part over the 2 days and it may be going back to Dublin every 2nd year. It should be in Dublin each year really but thats IPMS business really. The models entrys are of a high standard I was told and the layout pretty good

Any piccys of the Cork IPMS branch table ANON???

G
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Yeah I don't think the AirVenture centre could be beaten for lighting that's for sure! You couldn't really ask for more with all that glass in the corridor. What I meant was surroundings at Dublin Castle... city centre, historical buildings, beautiful stone work interior and exterior, and so on. The AirVenture has some great things if you're an aviation enthusiast though. The lighting was pretty poor at the IMSS show for sure. Nothing could be as bad as Scale ModelWorld though. Everything is bathed in a reddish light... but the content of the show can't be surpassed so it's forgiven.

The IMSS show at Collin's Barracks should be good for me too as I haven't been to the museum either. Nice one!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Return to “2012 Archive”