A Day at the Beach - Tamiya T-62

TRM

A Day at the Beach - Tamiya T-62

Postby TRM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:16 am

Hello All,

Let me start out by thanking Vinny and spud for letting me play in the sand box here for the Dirty Russian Group Build. Having some FUN, it's what it's all about. I will be building Tamiya's 1/35 T-62a kit...well, what will be left of it anyway. :roll: I have a sorted past of "wrecking" a kit from time to time....spud can contest to this. 8-)

The Kit:

A couple days ago a good friend contacted me about lending him some guidance on a build. I figured throwing something together and showing him rather than telling him what he can do would be better. Not wanting to build exactly what he was doing, I started trolling for pictures.....came across this iconic gem:

For discussion purposes only:

I am not looking for an exact copy here, just something close. Wednesday night I tossed some glue in the box and kicked it across the floor and out popped a basic platform for my build. I liked the fact that the lower hull probably would not make it into the build as I love to paint and weather a model and moving through the build process I can take as much time as I need to finish her off.

This is how she looked Wednesday before beddy-bye:

The progression was quick and the inclusion into the Group Build an after thought, hence the appreciation to Vinny for letting me jump in here [smilie=banana.gif]

As you can see with just the top and a few minor alterations it was bing bang boom. Notice the white section on the barrel....like a dope I went full bore at drilling the barrel out with a bit that was too large and in a dremel....quick fix. Same goes for some rear deck damage and the kill shot to the rear off the turret.

I am not going for any prize winners with this one...like I said, helping a friend and having some fun!!

So, last night before bed again, I took a rattle can and gave her a prime....

Sorry, she was a bit wet when I took the picture. Over the weekend I will be laying down a base coat and begin the layers to the paint and weathering!!

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!!

BrIAN332

Re: A Day at the Beach - Tamiya T-62

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 am

Wow,class addition to the group build,that photo and idea is excellent,shaping up very nicely already,looking forward to seeing your weathering and wrecking work on this one!! :o)b

Brian :)

Spud

Postby Spud » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 am

Ohh Tobias Actually built that setting some time ago This turned out great.

I cant wait to see what you do with this :)

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks Brian!! :oDY

Thanks spud!! Looking forward to relaxing with the AB for the day tomorrow. [smilie=tasty.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 am

now why in the bloody hell didnt i think of doing that, i would have just done a barrel protruding from the sand would still have taken me longer than it took u to do this so far, great idea man, how did u do the holes for the damage?
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Ya Martay!! Thank you! Any encouragement is always welcome! As for the holes...through and through on something like the turret and other "thick" areas one of two ways usually. One is to drill a hole a little smaller than the finish size and then use a piece of tubing stock heated up and slowly push in one direction. The second is a dremel tool in low speed and make the hole and use the same engraving bit to flair out the hole. Any others I start with a #11 and then nip away at it with my sprue cutters!! [smilie=hypnotised.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:27 pm

thanks bud nce to know diff methods of applying damage to these thingys, im more of a wingy fan so this is a new direction for me :D

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Always good to diversify!! Keeps it interesting and FUN!! I have been know to pick up a wingy thing from time to time...rare though to actually finish one :roll: Here is one I did finish....sort of [smilie=rofl.gif] http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... artid=4494

martay

Postby martay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Todd man thats bloody amazing, my respect in a big way im a long way from that level of detailing but hopefully ill get there, im only a year and a bit back into it since my days as a kid and early teens, so a bit of a hiatus, ill be reviewing that build in more deatil later on but just on first glance im stunned [smilie=bow.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 pm

TRM wrote:Always good to diversify!! Keeps it interesting and FUN!! I have been know to pick up a wingy thing from time to time...rare though to actually finish one :roll: Here is one I did finish....sort of [smilie=rofl.gif] http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... artid=4494

Man alive,that is stunning,brilliant work :DX

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”