MIG15UTI Polish Air Force [KP Models 1/72]

Vinny

Re: MIG15UTI Polish Air Force [KP Models 1/72]

Postby Vinny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Very, very cool! That technique worked out well for you... it looks nicely worn away. We don't often see the HS technique used on aircraft models so it's great to see it working out so well on your build.

Looking forward to the next update!
V [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:38 am

Hi lads got another bit done since the last post.
The top of the wings were sprayed silver & I tried the salt weathering technique for the first time.It worked better in some areas than others.Then the walkways were sprayed black & using the hairspray technique some of it was removed to give the worn effect.The hairspray was used again on the remaining side for the insignia.I removed the masking on the canopy,some touching up to do there but that area will be weathered later.

A little bit of red was used on the insignia & serial to represent whats left of the origional colour,again hairspray was involved & a few small bits n bobs painted.A small bit of weathering also.
The base was given two coats of Halfords primer & left for 24 hours before the next step.Sorry again for the poor pic.

I found out that the Dettol trick for removing acrylic paint has one snag if you use Mr. Surfacer.It kinda melts it.I was strippin a part & left it overnight,two days later & Mr. Surfacer is still Mr. Soft.Otherwise Mr. Dettol is the biz for The Full Monty :shock:
Till next time n thanks for lookin in,
Anon....

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am

thats starting to look really old and beaten up, cant wait to see it finished :DX

as for removing acrylic paint, ive always used Mr Muscle oven cleaner....takes it back to primer and dosnt attack filler

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Very nice work there Anon,love the weathering effect that you achieved with this one,looked great at the meeting sat nite with all the other dirty russian builds :DX

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi lads just a weee update,
dirtied it up a bit with some satin black enamel thined down with white spirits.Still got more to do.A little too dark on the avionics bay hatches on top of the nose so will sort that out.

Did a wash on the base with the dirty white spirits as well - more to there as well.

Cheers for lookin,
Adios Anon......

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Some fantastic progress there Anon. Love all the streaking going on so far and the weathering on the numbers. The base is coming on too.

Excellent stuff! :DX

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I know the Dirty Russians are in the news lately with the Crimea grab,its been over a year since I posted anything on my Dirty Russian MIG 15 but I havn't done much to this or any model in a while.Did a few small things lately & last week I tried putting on some of the fiddly bits & maybe get this over the finishing line.
Started sticking the airbrakes,cannon & undercarriage doors in place along with the u/c. legs.Milliput was used for the wiring in the u/c. bay.Albion Alloys brass tubing was used for the airbrakes & some of the u/c. tis great stuff!

Wheels glued on & she's on her feet at last.

Glued on the drop tanks but then put it on its feet & it was glaringly obvious that they were drooping too much forward so I lost interest in this one again.Pulled off the port one & will sort out the problem soon along with the other one.Then more fiddly bits to do.

Thanks for looking again,
Anon...

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Keep the momentum going! The end is in sight! She's looking great Anon and suitably dirty. I really like all the rust streaks, grime and battered metal.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.
V [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 am

Thats the job Anon, she looks so battered an worn, the fading and streaking on the markings is very nicely done,she is really looking like she has been through the wars man, your not far from the finish line now man great work on a tough project :DX
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I haven't been doing much modelling lately but did a little more on this & might get it finished before the next Group Build starts.I know this is going on yonks now.Cheers Martay for the encouragement :D The kit is more or less finished so it's down to the base.It fell off the shelf of doom twice so far so looks as bad as the MIG in places.I never did a base before so it was all new to me.I wanted to add weeds n grass between the paving slabs & been looking out for suitable stuff at model shows I've been to as well as trying out a few ideas of my own which mostly didn't work.So the pastels had to be redone after I tried to seal it & it just mottled the base.This time a stubborn stain remained even Persil would find it hard to remove.Darker pastel to try to cover it & also used a green colour to represent moss growing under the MIG,it doesn't show up too well in the photos & I'll give it a bit more before its finished.The weeds are made up from a few different methods.Short static grass -3 colours mixed together,colour paper cut to shape - I know tis weird,mini moss pads cut down to size sometimes & some real moss as well.Still more of this to do.I also made a chock from paper but not in any of the photos I think.So almost there at last & here's a few photos

Cheers for lamping,
Anon....

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”