MIG15UTI Polish Air Force [KP Models 1/72]

d_anonymous_modeller

MIG15UTI Polish Air Force [KP Models 1/72]

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 am

Hi there,
late out of the starting box - I seen the hare go past a few days ago :shock: ah well.Got the stomach bug the last few days & cleanin out a garage so not much progress.

This is the KP Models MIG15UTI dug out from the stash,I probably got it second hand because the box looked ancient when I got it in the 80's.

Basic enogh kit,not too many parts but it has rpl's so I sanded off the raised lines & rivets.Gotta scribe new ones now.What have I left myself in for?
The plan is to do one I saw in the Aviation Museum in Krakow 2 years ago.I'll try some stuff like salt weathering or hairspray doos which I never did before & only heard about in the last few months.
I probably wont get much time to get stuck into this in the next few days,gotta clean the chimney & whatnot for the big fella.
Cheerio Anon....

Spud

Re: MIG15UTI Polish Air Force [KP Models 1/72]

Postby Spud » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 am

sounds like you have some work on this one, should be sweet ones done tough

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Nice! YOu definitely have your work cut out for you with all that scribing [smilie=hypnotised.gif] You'll make a great job of it anyway... it should be a breeze in comparison to what you've been working on :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this one come together [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

You've been hit badly with stomach bugs recently :o8 Hope you'll be in good shape for next week!

V [smilie=thumb.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi lads,
not got much done with any modelling lately but done some rescribing on this & will plug on.
Got about 98% of the scribing & riveting done,nothing special - some parts could be better but improving all the time.I also cut out the airbrakes so will scratch up new ones & the inside panels.She's an old kit so parts don't join perfectly as expected so some filler & sanding to do along the way.Also not many parts to it so I'v e glued the wing halves together already & will start painting the cockpit & little fidly bits soon.Heres a couple of pics of whats done so far,not too much time left to get this finished on time but will give it a bash.

Adios Anon....

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 am

Aaah! I was wondering how you with progressing with this Anon. Excellent work with the scribing... it's a painful task but always worth it. I see you were smoking the auld pipe while doing it... nice and relaxing :D

There looks even less parts in this kit now that it's off the sprues. :lol: Are you going to put it on a base?

Nice one lad!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am

Cheers Vinnie.Ye can't bayt the owl puff off the pipe for some inspiration.Yup I plan on putting it on a base if I have the time.Did a few bits to it bit no pics & tried something on the canopy & it fogged up.I'll try to fix it tonight or else I'll have to make a new one I guess.
Anon....

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Small update with me dirty MIG,
I sanded the canopy for a few hours with Micro Mesh & got it back to an acceptable condition since it is going to be finished dirty n all.Still a hint of a few patches of fog.I've since givin it a slight tint using Klear (old concoction) mixed with a little Tamiya Smoke.It needs another coat or two,I had a wee problem with it pooling so I think the trick is to give it a few thin layers leaving it dry each time.I'll post a tinted pic when shes done.

Almost done with the pit as well,I don't know why I did so much here since not much will be seen when the canopy is on.I added a few small details using Milliput.Paint is a mixture of enamel & just started using Tamiya acrylic for the first time.Nice tack.

The airbrakes were cutout,I havn't started on new ones yet but I'm workin on filling in the holes.In the open position you see the jetpipe & the workins of the airbrakes so I used the kit exhaust & glued the narrowest plastic sheet I had onto it to extend the jetpipe up to the start of the airbrakes.It only needs to be curved at the bottom - thats all will be seen and a few bits of plasticard used for guidance & the boxed in area of the inside brake area.3 strips of Milliput on the jetpipe for detail on each side.

Check for fit etc. Tight fit!

View from the outside - sorry for the poor pic.

A bit more rivetin on the tail,cockpit almost ready to fit,exhaust & intake ready so the fuselage halves can come together followed shortly by joinin wings.
More photo n update soon I hope.
Cheers for lookin lads,
Anon.....
Last edited by d_anonymous_modeller on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Ah nice one Anon! You're progressing nicely with this baby. I think you'll get away with the slight bit of fogging on the canopy as you plan to have it dirty anyway. I'll be very interested to see how the tinting works out for you as it's something I haven't got right and is hampering my enthusiasm to get on with a few F-16s.

Nice work with the pit... you must be nearly cross-eyed from all the painting of those dials. Did you have the brush with one hair out? :lol:

Air brakes are looking good too... very nice way to add some interest to the kit.

Cheers lad!
Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Cheers Vinnie & another small update.
Heres the tinted canopy,I didn't sort out the pooling problem as it doesn't matter much with this dirty bird.Again its a mix of Klear & Tamiya Smoke.(will do better next time).

The cockpit more or less finished.Afew more bits added using Milliput seatbelts etc.The one haired brush is locked away in a stalled kit box.Next time I use it there might be more hair on it than the top of me bulb.Ha ha.

Just a shot of them both together.

More as soon as I upload photos on Photobucket.
Thanks for looking,
Anon....

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi lads,
small update again...

Glued the two halves together with noseweight,cockpit,exhaust & nose intake.Not a great fit in some areas so used some Milliput & Mr. Surfacer to fill the gaps.Then sanded & glue on some smallies that fell off with all the handling & replaced some that will never be found again.She was a rattler (loose noseweight) so I used Georges trick of mixing white glue & a little water with some washing up liquid.I couldnt get at the noseweight easily so the mixture was sucked up with a pipette & squeezed out behind the back seat & it flowed down to the nose.Problem solved,cheers George.
The filler has since been sanded but needs a little more round the nose followed by more sanding.Canopy has been masked as well so will go on soon.It needed a slip of plasticard to fill a gap & will need a good bit of filler as well.It looks too wide for the cockpit but I cant fix this one.

Thanks for looking ,
Anon....

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”