Dirty Russian ww2 Dios

Vinny

Re: Dirty Russian ww2 Dios

Postby Vinny » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Brian, that's the doggies! Excellent! Love all the mud, and it looks really good. Great scene giving an excellent sense the frustration and exhaustion of being stuck in the mud.

Fab work! Keep it up!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Great dio love the mud affects :DX

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Brian,

Fantastic work, what a muck!
I've got a lot to learn....so I'll be asking questions

dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks lads i enjoyed working on this one over the last few days and im happy enough with how its shaping up,will be plenty more done anyhow yet in terms of weathering and adding some different tones to the mud and the figures as well must be finished off,so a good bit done and more to do before deadline day :)

Simson wrote:Brian,

Fantastic work, what a muck!
I've got a lot to learn....so I'll be asking questions

dennis

Dennis i am only learning myself!! :D having only returned to this hobby around three years ago after a long break,being on here and picking up different tips and techniques and hints has def helped in making dios or trying to anyhow,glad ya like it :o)b

Cheers,Brian :o)b

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm

Same here, about 3 years yes....don't remember what I did before, just a blur now lol
I restarted because my father started again at that time and when I visited him in Holland he let me at it.
It was a large ship 1/250? of IJN Yamato made from wood and white metal with lots of pe.
He has bought all the gear incl a mini wood bending hot-iron.
He and his brother bought the same kit and started. My uncle's ended up in the bin several times and was retrieved by his wife. My uncle says the magic is in omitting of the small parts that he hates and he has several times contacted the supplier for spare parts to try again and sometimes my father helps him a bit.
But he didn't give up and he finished it, both started the 2nd (Bismarck, even longer) and they are building now their 3rd, HMS Victory fully in wood. And those things look nice man.
Next month my father and his other brother both buy a military rifle .223 caliber for their shooting club (100 m) (their 3rd membership) so sadloy that's not something I can copy again. I left my arms in Holland, not allowed here.

dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 am

Very interesting Dennis,i would love to see pics of those ships esp the Bismarck,the modeling bug def runs in your family :) .Ive made a few ship kits as well and i enjoyed doing them esp my viking ships.Its amazing i was away from this hobby for so long but since returning my interest is stronger than ever and to see the amount of quaility work on display here and accross the web is just awe inspiring.While making models is obviously very satisfying in itself i enjoy making just simple dios to display the model and adding in figures which i think are essential for any dio.The amount of choice is endless and you are only limited by your own imagination in what you want to create.Its mostly all trial and error for me and experiminting with different techniques and see how different things work.With companies such as miniart producing excellent kits and accessories for dios its a great help as well.They also have a great choice of figures and them, dragon, tamiya and masterbox figures are my favorites.

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:02 pm

I hate plastic Figs ;(

some are nicely detailed and i can work with them but there are some Tamiya master box and miniart that are aweful

Dennis if you have any pics of those it would be sweet to see them

Simson

Postby Simson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:22 pm

No pics of those ships, they are in Holland and I'm not going there shortly.
I can make drawings...I'm a keen artist with pencil and pen.

My parents have no digi cam so cannot send stuff over, they will visit 10th April so maybe he can bring some pictures and I can scan them here.
When I do visit I will take pics.....he has inherited also a few large ships from a guy we used to know.

Dennis

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 pm

it would be cool to see pics if they bring some if not we can wait. :)

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 am

Some more progress and back on topic here,initial paintwork on the miniart figures for the field kitchen dio and their possible layout in the dio,no doubt will move around again before final positioning is decided on ;) .Also made up a telegraph pole for this dio,wires will be done next, and did some more work on the grass areas.Will also be including the abandoned farm cart now as well as this will add some more interest to the scene without overcrowding it or blocking to much of the wall which i want a good bit of too be seen.The groundwork must also be finished off here and some more work done with washes and drybrushing and also some clear varnish to create wet areas,their weapons must also be done and included and prob some more accessories to be added.

Also some more pics of the stuck in the mud truck dio and the two of them together taken in natural light.I will also be puting the field kitchen dio on the same frame as the truck dio to keep them in tune with eachother and bring them up to the same height for better presentation :)

So still work in progress but edging closer to the finishing line and happy enough with how both are shaping up,will return to these projects again next week ;)

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”