Dirty Russian ww2 Dios

BrIAN332

Re: Dirty Russian ww2 Dios

Postby BrIAN332 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 pm

With little or no chance or time to get anthing done lately on the russian front group build at least i managed to get in town this morning and pick up the picture frame base that will be perfect for the size of the dio and its a question now of geting down to doing the mud and the scene and decicding which way to posistion the truck and the pushing soldiers,some of the telegraph poles which i got today as well from George will also be used and possibly some grasswork as on the field kitchen dio,and aslo manged to track down an excellent ref pic of russians stuck in the mud with their truck :) for what its worth heres the 'progress',ie the picture frame base and possible/probable layout(s) :idea:

Picture frame base which is perfect for size of the dio
and just some test layouts,posistioning of the truck and figures,cab roof and canvas back cover not fixed in place
and the telegraph poles,must decide on which type to use,great choice in the box

so i hope to make some progress on this next week and get the overall scene in place and get the mud done,and also return to the field kitchen dio,thats the plan anyhow [smilie=banghead.gif]

and just some more ref pics
and at last one i was looking for

cheers,Brian :o)b
Last edited by BrIAN332 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simson

Postby Simson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Your mud will suck I bet....poor fellows
gauging the deoth of that frame there will be some sunk truck in that.
Pls send pictures of steps because I like to learn some of the diorama tricks.

Dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Cheers Dennis,ya must decide on the depth of the truck in the mud and which side of frame to use,will prob bring up the level if decide to use the more 'deeper' side and possibly do a bit of an embankment section...if you check back there you will see my other base for the second dio that im doing,ready made base from miniart which i modified and will be making up a mud mix as well so when time comes for puting the figures and field kitchen in place so they will look 'in the mud' rather than just placed on it,oh and i mustnt forget about footprints as well @o)

Cheers,Brian :o)b

Spud

Postby Spud » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 am

Nice Frame Brian looking forward to the end of this one

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 am

Cheers spud,upstairs in guineys,normally a shop i wudnt be seen dead in, but they have great selection of frames there and solid out as well for a fiver and not like those cheap crapy plastic fall apart and shiney ones in the discount stores :evil:

Spud

Postby Spud » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 am

ahh neat. them stupid plastic ones are all that is on sale down here ;/

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 am

The pine ones they sell are ok tho in them discount shops but those plastic ones,christ any bit of weight or try add some groundwork and they just come apart,worth paying the small bit extra for good quality solid one,there is some nice ones there as well in that gift shop place accross and down a bit from marks and also the new hickeys has some nice ones,ill prob put the field kitchen dio up on one as well as the size is spot on and still some wood around the edges,oh forgot added a bit more long grass to that one :)

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:33 am

i see you have been shopping again looking forward to finished product brian

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks David,nothing like an ol trip around the shops on a friday morning and get what you want :D them frames are prob the best ive come accross for dios,rock solid and look great :o)b

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Ok lads progress on the russian front,got the stuck in the mud truck dio layout done and am happy enough with the initial layout and the overall structure is now in place.Using my tried and trusted material for laying down a muddy groundwork in the form of hard as nails material and also some filler here and there,great material for using for mud as can easily be adjusted and mixed around with while still wet to achieve the desired look.Will be doing some more work on the truck itself and the figures will be touched up and their weapons will be added etc.
Truck was placed at an angle as is the golden rule in dios for best visual effect and the figures were put in place.

I also added some static grass forming two corners to shape the road and a fence from miniart was also added.A telegraph pole was also added to add some height to the dio and some wires will be added to this in due course.I will prob add some abandoned equipment,debris behind the fence to also add some depth here.A few trusty oil drums and jerry cans were also used.

Varoius shades and colors of brown were used for the initial mud coloring and more will be done before the final presenation,also some clear varnish will be used to get a wet look effect.The groundwork was worked up and indented by using and old paintbrush and also tracks from the truck were done and some footprints but this mud being so slushy n messy footprints didnt last long.A few more ideas will no doubt come into my head before this is finished as sometimes its just best to let things flow rather than sticking to a fixed plan,thats what i find anyhow :)

So overall im pleased with the progress and now its a matter of doing the finer details and will also prob do a stain or paint the frame.Thanks for looking and following this build :o)b

Ok some pics,some materials used for the groundwork and also static grass and miniart fence
laying down the muddy groundwork
Figures make an appearence
And time to get down and dirty,color added and mixing up and shaping the groundwork

oh and telegraph pole made up

Pics were taken at different stages over two days so prob some variation in them is obvious :shock:

So thats the latest progress lads,as i said this is still in progress and all fine details will be done with the truck,figures,the fence etc and everything will be tied up and finished off in the next installment.....hopfully :o)b

Cheers Brian :o)b

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”