Trumpeter T-62

Spud

Re: Trumpeter T-62

Postby Spud » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Cock. i seem to be missing a sheet or brass etch parts ...

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 am

Sweet ETmodel are sending out the missing part ;D

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Seems to be pretty much hassle free when replacing parts… also what is the purpose of photo/ brass etching? Is it for authenticity purposes or do they yield better details compared to plastic and resins?

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm

etch parts are more detailed in most cases, Sometimes the plastic can to be thick and have no details. or the bass can be too flimsy so its a balance of whats going to look good some of the time.

The Dragon kits come with a decent bit of etch in there kits and sometime its a bit thin and others its perfect.

Resin is mostly for big upgrades and figures. and you cant beat resin figures

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

FUBAR wrote: what is the purpose of photo/ brass etching? Is it for authenticity purposes or do they yield better details compared to plastic and resins?

He fubar,

Interesting matter....it is for both and more.
There is a huge aftermarket for modelkits....I like them and I like to fool around with them too.
Check the magazines and internet about the limitless variety...it doesn't have to be expensive.

As soon as there is a new kit it may take a few days-weeks and the first upgrades are available.
Those companies buy the kit and possibly certain production data to use during their development of the etch or resin parts. They also perform a lot of research or visit a museum to take measurements etc.
I think it adds to the kit and to your own joy to build it, even when some is not (very) visible in final condition.
It also adds hours of fun.

Normal plastic kits are made by injectionmoulding which has its limits....but is a fast process that produces high volumes.
The moulds are engraved to a certain level to create a crisp product, but a more precise mould doesn't always create a more precise product...it depends on geometry and fine projections etc.
The heated liquid plastic is injected through a few entrance holes and needs to find its way through the mould until it merges and the surplus is forced out, then cooled to solidify before the mould opons and pushes the parts out (a whole sprue or a main part). The more precise the mould the more expensive the kit.
Also the more parts a mould consists of (there are even compound moulds with sliding parts to create hollow areas) the more expensive the kit.
Small scale kits have less detail than large scale kits. So the costs are very important too...the kit has to remain cheap enough to be bought by the greater public.

The upgrade set is a personal choice....not needed so it's not included in the kit's price.
Photo etch is great stuff, made from brass, nickel alloy, stainless steel etc and comes in several thicknesses, single sided or double sided formed, so it's 3D. It replaces or adds parts.
Amazing what can be achieved. It's sometimes a challenging little kit itself that you have to fold and ac glue together.

Resin is also great stuff, it replaces or adds kit parts too.
There are even complete resin kits available...pricey and usually much less parts than a plastic kit for the same or better detailing. Resin parts are custom made in a much lower volume so they do get lots of extra very fine details, amazing what is available.

Metal parts are great too. For example machined seamless aluminium tank barrels with rifling and brass muzzlebrakes, or cables, d-shackles etc.

I always check what is available in etch and metal if I think it is worth it then I get it.
I use a bit resin....ww2 plane exhausts because the kit parts are solid and resin is hollow.
I like metal barrels, plane exteriors and simple cockpit interiors (the more extensive ones are partly obscured too much)

Dennis

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Cheers for the confirmation spud

Holy Jebus Dennis that's alot of info to take in @o) lol but it's all very informing cheers for that.

It also explains why I can't find anything for the leopard A4 lol

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:15 pm

I can type tjeemigdepeemig real fast, don't know what so hope is info not bs

dennis

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Simson wrote:I can type tjeemigdepeemig real fast, don't know what so hope is info not bs

dennis

Okay not following this post lol make it longer and more complex so I can understand :mrgreen:

Oh it definitely is information if you didn't sound like you knew what you were on about I would say BS but you know your stuff so tis grand lad 8-)

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 pm

ETmodels seem to have the best prices etch ive seen for teh set i got for this it was only €30 and that is 13 sheets of etch and 1 resin part, i will be using them again, with out a doubt

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Spud wrote:ETmodels seem to have the best prices etch ive seen for teh set i got for this it was only €30 and that is 13 sheets of etch and 1 resin part, i will be using them again, with out a doubt

Are they based in Asia? Every time I look at a product all I get is a page full mandirin or Japanese or something

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”