AN-12 Cub Russian Airforce Blue 33 [Roden 1:72]

FUBAR

Re: AN-12 Cub Russian Airforce Blue 33 [Roden 1:72]

Postby FUBAR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 pm

They look great Vinny don't think I'll ever reach that level of detail lol tell me did you have to manipulate the etch to when piecing them together?

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks Killian.

FUBAR wrote:don't think I'll ever reach that level of detail

Oh yes you will! I thought that too a few years ago and this is my first big etch project. I've used PE before but nothing that needed so much bending/folding and nothing so small.

FUBAR wrote:tell me did you have to manipulate the etch to when piecing them together?

Sure did! The etch had to be folded to make a 3D object. As you can see from the frets at the bottom of this image, all the parts come flat and have to be bent and assembled as needed. It's slow work but worth it in the end as the kit parts were terrible.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Hmm much practice in this padawan's future so [smilie=rofl.gif] they must snap fare easy

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 pm

FUBAR wrote:Hmm much practice in this padawan's future so [smilie=rofl.gif] they must snap fare easy

:lol: Image

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Yes indeed! Your eyes do not deceive you... have have made a step forward with this project. I've been putting off the interior for too long so it was time to get stuck into it.

The instrument panels use clear film with printed details for the dials. This film needs to be painted white at the back before attaching to the etch parts. This is how I prepared them and you get the idea of the intended final outcome.

Now for the finicky part. The cockpit is assembled!!

This is how the flightdeck looks with everything installed... I like it a lot! Nice and busy with a bit of grime to keep Spud happy. :D

It's not glued in fully yet as I have some work to do on the interior in the form of removing window masks and giving it a good wash. I want to get as much dust and dirt out of the fuselage as possible before I close it up. When it's all clean I'll commit to gluing the cockpit section in and adding weight.

Thanks for looking!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:36 pm

[smilie=yikes.gif] Bloody hell Vinny that is one of the sweetest cockpit builds ive ever seen its stunning man, [smilie=bow.gif] you have the patience of a saint, im bricking going near the small bits of etch ive got, id pass out in shock if i had to attempt that, cant wait to see this thing some day [smilie=hypnotised.gif]
Legend fella [smilie=thumb.gif]
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:35 am

:DX That is absolutely top class modelling work and skill Vinny, some attention to detail and your patience for such detailed work really pays off, brilliant stuff [smilie=first.gif]

Brian :o)b

Simson

Postby Simson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:37 pm

looking great Vinny

If it was mine I would break the pit out and keep it a separate item and replace the pit with rudimentary bits, shame it will be obscured so much!

That coloured etch is great to work with

Dennis

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks lads for the kind word and great feedback. :o)b

Simson wrote:That coloured etch is great to work with

No colour photoetch used here Dennis... all airbrush/hand painted.

A very small update today. The kit had a really poor APU part so I drilled out a hole in the fuselage and replaced it with some brass tube and foil. It looks a whole lot better now.

Cheers!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Awesome Vinny. and just because the Dirty build is done doesn't mean you are getting away with building a clean one now :)

Return to “The Dirty Russian Build”