FUBAR wrote:don't think I'll ever reach that level of detail
Oh yes you will! I thought that too a few years ago and this is my first big etch project. I've used PE before but nothing that needed so much bending/folding and nothing so small.
FUBAR wrote:tell me did you have to manipulate the etch to when piecing them together?
Sure did! The etch had to be folded to make a 3D object. As you can see from the frets at the bottom of this image, all the parts come flat and have to be bent and assembled as needed. It's slow work but worth it in the end as the kit parts were terrible.
FUBAR wrote:Hmm much practice in this padawan's future so they must snap fare easy
Yes indeed! Your eyes do not deceive you... have have made a step forward with this project. I've been putting off the interior for too long so it was time to get stuck into it.
The instrument panels use clear film with printed details for the dials. This film needs to be painted white at the back before attaching to the etch parts. This is how I prepared them and you get the idea of the intended final outcome.
Now for the finicky part. The cockpit is assembled!!
This is how the flightdeck looks with everything installed... I like it a lot! Nice and busy with a bit of grime to keep Spud happy.
It's not glued in fully yet as I have some work to do on the interior in the form of removing window masks and giving it a good wash. I want to get as much dust and dirt out of the fuselage as possible before I close it up. When it's all clean I'll commit to gluing the cockpit section in and adding weight.
Thanks for looking!
- Posts: 1123
- Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm
- Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands (prev Carrigaline, Cork)
If it was mine I would break the pit out and keep it a separate item and replace the pit with rudimentary bits, shame it will be obscured so much!
That coloured etch is great to work with
Simson wrote:That coloured etch is great to work with
No colour photoetch used here Dennis... all airbrush/hand painted.
A very small update today. The kit had a really poor APU part so I drilled out a hole in the fuselage and replaced it with some brass tube and foil. It looks a whole lot better now.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest