Civil war trains

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
BKirwan

Civil war trains

Postby BKirwan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Gents
I recently picked up a copy of "In times of civil war , the conflict on the Irish railways 1922-1923". It a photographic monograph of the devastion on the railways , alot of trainwrecks but also the armoured trains and armoured cars in use. One of the photos of a derailment was taken around the corner from where I grew up.
Does anyone know of the common types of steam engine in use at the time and if there are any kits available to model them?

thanks
Brian

Spud

Re: Civil war trains

Postby Spud » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:32 pm

there isnt many kits of trains about. i know of 3 or 4 and most are if German stuff from WWII and in 1/135th

there is a 1:87th scale one but im not sure who makes it.

George might be the right man for your answer on this one tough

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:07 pm

For Ireland you need a big wallet and a shed load of Skill. I have made one and it is tough going.

Heres the link for the locos you need. good luck

http://www.studio-scale-models.com/Locos.shtml

Heres a link to my build

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ank-4-6-0/
Cheers

George

BKirwan

Postby BKirwan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 pm

George
Thanks for the info. Impressive work on the the train.
Have to have a think about the train. Brass isn't anything I have experience with.

Cheers
Brian

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Brian wat pics you got
we might be able to bodge somit in 1/35 scale , quite a few bits available in this scale ?
Image Image

BKirwan

Postby BKirwan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:46 pm

I will scan them in tomorrow and post them. The book is a treasure trove of previously unpublished pictures dug out of the CIE archives. They give a real feel for the widespread destruction wrought on the rail network during those troubled years. There are photos of armoured trains in fetching camo colours, something you would associate with the Eastern Front or the Russian Civil War and not Ireland.
Regards for now.

BKirwan

Postby BKirwan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:34 am

Gents,
Here are a few scans of the of photos I promised and also a nuumber I found in "The green Divide " by M. Barry . Fascinating stuff. I am interested in modelling this scene from Ballyanne (New Ross area)

This scene is from a different date but also in the locality, Ballywillam to be exact. The similarity of the action and the proxmity to each in time and place suggests the same people were involved.

Various other shots to give a flavour

With regards to scratch-building through kit bashing, I had looked at Revell 1:87 stuff but the engine types are entirely dissimilar but I had not given 1:35 scale any thought. Worth looking into. Mind you the amoured trains are all very boxy and so present no great shape issues with regard to scratch building. The only problem is a lack of detail photos for all of those small details not readily apparent on these photos. At the moment I am gearing up for scratch building the Lancia Triota featured in the last photo on the right (the little camouflaged vehicle) and have to use a combintaion of drawings, artists impressions, photos and walk- arounds . Without them it difficult to do something convincing.

regards
Brian

Spud

Postby Spud » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:10 pm

there is 2 1:35 trains that isnt Boxy

The Dampflokomotive BR 86 and the Baureihe 52

Do a google search for Trumpeter trains they are the ones that make them and they are not too cheap costing around 100+

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:42 am

I see you have gone for a nice rail armored car thats a nice choice
Image Image

BKirwan

Postby BKirwan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:59 am

Yea I had a look at the trains and decided that give what I have collected in terms of references that the Lancia Triota converted for railway protection duties was the best way to go. Plus that colour scheme of the Grey Ghost is cool.
If anyone has info on the railway protection corps I would love to hear from you.

Regards
Brian

Return to “Modelling Questions”