Advice on inks and thinners workflow

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
flashinglizard

Advice on inks and thinners workflow

Postby flashinglizard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Im having problems completing my models. New to the hobby so not sure if im doing it proper.
I took a picture of what I use on a model.
Starting from left to right.
Undercoat, overcoat, decaling, Alclad gloss, then (24hrs) I used panel line wash. This is where I run into problems with the paint all coming off the plastic. I use cotton buds dipped in enamel odourless thinner to take away some excess wash. It starts getting sticky and I used more thinner to clean off wash. Before I know, it im down to the plastic :-( Although the decals seemed to stay on.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Regards
Derek [smilie=wall.gif]

beowulf

Re: Advice on inks and thinners workflow

Postby beowulf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:12 pm

its cos you are using enamel thinners........mr colour is acrylic paint, enamel thinners is 'hotter' than the acrylic so will go straight through it

flashinglizard

Postby flashinglizard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:32 pm

So, I should be using odourless Turpentine to clean the MIG enamel pin wash ?

Regards
Derek

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:31 pm

no idea......i dont use enamel washes, just oils, so i cant help you there, im sure one of the other guys knows better

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:56 am

Hey Derek, how much time are you giving the underlying paint to cure and how much odorless thinners are loaded on your brush? You should be fine using the Mig odorless thinners to wipe away the enamel wash as it's not as aggressive are normal white spirits.

I think there could be an issue with the Alclad Klear Kote Gloss as your barrier. This is a solvent based clear coat and takes ages to cure properly. I tired it once and had problems with it and looked up other reports on it. Others chaps said it can be tacky for days and enamel thinners (Mig washes etc) make it go gooey. Here's what I'm thinking. If the Klear Kote is solvent based (and as it's Alclad I presume this is lacquer) then you're applying a lacquer clear over Mr Color (lacquer based unlike Mr Aqueous Color) over Mr Base White (again lacquer based). If the lacquer gloss coat is tacky or uncured then the solvents in it are keeping the lacquer paints underneath it uncured. If it all goes gooey when you apply enamel thinners then it's all coming off in a mess.

The heading on this review suggests Alcald Klear Kote is "mineral spirit based gloss finish". If that's the case then enamel/odorless thinners are going to remove it. Also, in the last post a guy says "its just also reacted with mig thinners an sort of gone "gooey" when I brushed the filter - I did this a day after though".

Anyway, it's all a confusing minefield out there and my suggestion is to ditch the Alclad Klear Kote and use an acrylic clear coat before you apply your washes. If you want a really good Alclad clear coat that's easy to work with a will standup to the washes then I'd suggest Alclad Aqua Gloss. Great stuff! :o)b

Hope this helps.
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:11 pm

dont use the Alclad when using enamels for washes, I use Vallejo clears as the enamels wont eat into it when cleaning up the Mess

flashinglizard

Postby flashinglizard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks for the great advice.
Yes I noticed the Alclad kinda sticky when holding the model even after 24 hours.
On the Alclad bottle it says "The original natural metal lacquer" Safe to say I wont be using that klear kote gloss anytime soon.

I have just ordered Vallejo 55ml Gloss Liquid Varnish # 26517 so will try that out :o)b
I'm optimistic ;)

Regards
Derek

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:42 am

i add just a drop or two of water into mine when spraying it just to thin it a tad as it can be a bit thick but test it first and see how you get on with it

Scanlan

Postby Scanlan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:47 pm

You need that Alclad Aqua Gloss, it's an acrylic and immune to mineral washes, it's what a lot of modellers use instead of Future floor polish, I put oil, enamel, white spirit, turpentine washes on it 20mins after I've put it on. That Vallejo clear gloss is good too but I find that Aqua Gloss is more self levelling and won't obscure any details.

Return to “Modelling Questions”