Masking painted parts

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
Ferraribod

Masking painted parts

Postby Ferraribod » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:44 am

Hi Guys

Help wanted.

I want to mask over a model that’s been painted with Humbrol acrylic sprays. I’m happy the paint is good and strong – I washed the parts beforehand. What masking tape should I use to be as sure as possible that with great care, I won’t strip the paint off when I remove the masking tape?

Thanks

Vinny

Re: Masking painted parts

Postby Vinny » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:05 pm

I'd have to suggest Tamiya masking tape. It's tacky enough but not strong. You can get it in wider sizes to cover larger areas. I tend to use Tamiya tape for the edges and then fill the large areas with artists masking tape (which I stick to the back of my hand or fingertips first so some of the glue gets removed and it doesn't stick too strong). I work with enamels though as I have found in the past that acrylics are too fragile for my liking. So stick with just the Tamiya tape for acrylics I reckon.

HTH
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

fs2005

Re: Masking painted parts

Postby fs2005 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Tamiya !Accept no substitutes .You can (and should ) squash it down nice n tight without fear of lifting paint .However dont tempt fate by reefing it up really fast .Peel it off nice and slow diagonally back across 'line' .

Return to “Modelling Questions”