Painter needed to airbrush 2 models

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
willciviceg5

Painter needed to airbrush 2 models

Postby willciviceg5 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm just wondering is there somebody that could paint two models for me and how much I should expect to spend. I dont have an airbrush and I need a particular paint job done on two identical models. It's the city Chevy from Days Of Thunder. Has anybody any ideas, this is the kit that needs to be painted

fs2005

Re: Painter needed to airbrush 2 models

Postby fs2005 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Where you based ?I doubt there would be m/any would do this on a "professional" basis ( people who spray motorbike helmets?) but if you were providing the paint( and delivering /collecting) I'd guess fee would be nominal /minimal .Could probably be done in one 'session' ( "while you wait " would definitely be pushing it) but keeping it a day or more might be preferable .
If you could invest 100-130( maybe 60-80 if lucky and compromising on quality) you'd get a fine airbrush and compressor) set up and do it yourself handily enough with a bit of advice .

( Funny was just thinking of that movie driving home tonight and the famous bedroom 'demonstration of drafting /overtaking with condom packs' scene )

( Scheme looks handy enough - bit of blutack roll strip up the two soft borders each side )

martay

Postby martay » Thu May 07, 2015 1:06 am

Have to agree, to get the two of them painted you would have bought yourself half an airbrush kit, they would be easy to paint with a bit of practice and you would be learning a skill to stand you for years to come. Once i bought my airbrush and first compressor, which cost me about 150 odd, i now airbrush all my work and can see no real difficulty in painting these kits. My advice would be to put them back in the stash and work on getting the tools to do it yourself, your work shows you are more than capable of doing it :o)b
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

willciviceg5

Postby willciviceg5 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:13 pm

fs2005 wrote:Where you based ?

( Funny was just thinking of that movie driving home tonight and the famous bedroom 'demonstration of drafting /overtaking with condom packs' scene )

( Scheme looks handy enough - bit of blutack roll strip up the two soft borders each side )

I'm in Kilkenny
Yeah its some movie, I only watched it again a couple of weeks ago, "rubbin is racing"

willciviceg5

Postby willciviceg5 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:15 pm

martay wrote:Have to agree, to get the two of them painted you would have bought yourself half an airbrush kit, they would be easy to paint with a bit of practice and you would be learning a skill to stand you for years to come. Once i bought my airbrush and first compressor, which cost me about 150 odd, i now airbrush all my work and can see no real difficulty in painting these kits. My advice would be to put them back in the stash and work on getting the tools to do it yourself, your work shows you are more than capable of doing it :o)b

Would this be suitable, there is one for sale at the moment with a can of propellant instead of a compressor, but I persume that it will work with either?
http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Prod ... RBRUSH-SET

martay

Postby martay » Thu May 07, 2015 4:11 pm

That my friend is the exact same brush i got and still have as my first one, its a beauty and will last you ages, my advice again as it will save in long run is to forgo the cans as they will run out mid spray and you never get the lot from them, 10-20 cans and you have a compressor, its that simple mate, deffo get that brush tho, you wont be sorry, cant wait to see how you get on man :o)b
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

fs2005

Postby fs2005 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 pm

(While Badger are a great brand )That's a single action ( trigger controls paint flow only ) airbrush with paint bottles 'underneath' .Most modellers use double action ( trigger moves back for paint flow and down for airflow )with 'cups' 'on top' .

This is what I have and strongly recommend ( trader is great too)

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/com ... fqr1egmgk7

Good compressor and airbrush will do until you want to upgrade that later

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu May 07, 2015 6:13 pm

badger are not only single action. they have double action brush's also but start cheap and work up until you feel comfortable using an airbrush,

badge are a great starting brand and also a great high end brand.

willciviceg5

Postby willciviceg5 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 pm

i just saw it for sale the other day for less than €60.00 so I thought it would be ideal to start out. I think I'll buy it, where do you but paint for these things

willciviceg5

Postby willciviceg5 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:56 pm

fs2005 wrote:(While Badger are a great brand )That's a single action ( trigger controls paint flow only ) airbrush with paint bottles 'underneath' .Most modellers use double action ( trigger moves back for paint flow and down for airflow )with 'cups' 'on top' .

This is what I have and strongly recommend ( trader is great too)

http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/com ... fqr1egmgk7

Good compressor and airbrush will do until you want to upgrade that later

That's really cheap for an airbrush and compressor, have you had it long?

Return to “Modelling Questions”