Dechroming Tamiya parts

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
Ferraribod

Dechroming Tamiya parts

Postby Ferraribod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Help
For my first model since I joined I'm doing the re-issued Tamiya Lotus 49. I want to dechrome several parts, especially a section of the exhaust pipes that were white in the real car. I have tried soaking test parts of the chrome plated sprues in Dunne's Store bleach; Supervalu bleach and Domestos - but none work, even after a couple of hours. I tried sanding part of the chrome to get the stripping started, but that didn't work either. Can anyone suggest an alternative method as I don't want to start sanding the whole lot. I'd like to finish the model this year!!
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Vinny

Re: Dechroming Tamiya parts

Postby Vinny » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:58 pm

The new Tamiya chrome parts have very different chrome than standard plastic chrome. Something to do with real metal content and the way the paint is applied to the plastic. Not sure if the conventional methods will work but to de-chrome standard parts I have used bot Fairy Power Spray and Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner with great results.

It's worth a try as sanding is not the way to go. Let us know who you get on.

There's also a cleaner in Tesco that guys use with great success. Also brake fluid works too.

Edit: This post on the forum is worth reading…
http://irishscalemodeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1610

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Ferraribod

Postby Ferraribod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks. I'm trying the Oven Cleaner - I have that in the house.

Ferraribod

Postby Ferraribod » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:57 am

Update: Mr Muscle works, but it took about three hours. I'll try the Fairy Powerspray.

auto builder

Postby auto builder » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:47 pm

thats a pity to hear the chrome is a bugger to remove. the thick bleach worked a treat for me with the ferrari. didnt know tamiya changed the makeup of the chrome sprues. anyhow nice choice of kit. one of the all time classic racecars. cant wait to see this one finished :o)b

Return to “Modelling Questions”