Vallejo or AK

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
The Hobby Den

Vallejo or AK

Postby The Hobby Den » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:13 am

Looking for a bit of advice guys I have been using Vallejo paints for years now and really like them. Has anyone tried out the AK acrylic range and where in Ireland can both the Vallejo and AK ranges be bought.

Spud

Re: Vallejo or AK

Postby Spud » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:26 am

I use Both Vallejo are prob a better line up as AK is designed for specific themes, Also I wont support AK no more after what they have done to Mig, Look at Mig Ammo.

Same thing and the guys the produced the Original AK produce the stuff for Mig and they cut ties with AK.

If you are looking at weathering the Mig Ammo or AK there is Also Mig Productions

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/
http://migproductions.com/

as for buying in Ireland. there is a guy in west cork that sells Vallejo but i buy all mine from http://www.emodels.co.uk/

there is also Luckymodel in japan

Hope that helps

Lego

Postby Lego » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Have to buy all my AK stuff from uk or at shows :(

I think the AK primers are brilliant much better than the vallejo rubber stuff. I have heard rave reviews about The new ultra matt varnish from ak too. Hopefully will get some soon.

I have used both ak and ammo paint and both are fine. I cannot tell the difference but if you forced me to pick I would choose AK. But the problem is they both have colours missing or do a product that the other needs.

AK have also introduced a new metallic wax paint range that is buffable. I think these could be a good seller too. No wicked stench will always be a winner for me.

Spud

Postby Spud » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Ak primers are OK i have them and i have to say i Prefer my vallejo primers.

If you are looking at getting a selection of paints i would go with Vallejo and then go with AK/mig or Mig Ammo for weathering,

Lego

Postby Lego » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:56 pm

vallejo primer is useless for wingies spud. Terrible for sanding and is liable to come up in strips. This happens even when I leave them for 2 to 3 days.

Spud

Postby Spud » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:10 pm

for sanding i would not use it for sure :D

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

I get my AK stuff from Luckymodel as they have regular sales with them. I'm hoping they do an Ammo sale soon as I'd like to pick up the aircraft range just to add to the toolbox for when the time comes around for them. I have no allegiance to any brand just to the right price :D Luckymodel currently have an AK Interactive sale running at the moment with their primers included.

Lego wrote:AK have also introduced a new metallic wax paint range that is buffable. I think these could be a good seller too. No wicked stench will always be a winner for me.

Oooh, interesting. They must be exactly the same idea as Rub'n'Buff then. Check out the demo I did here.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Lego wrote:vallejo primer is useless for wingies spud. Terrible for sanding and is liable to come up in strips. This happens even when I leave them for 2 to 3 days.

Thats why Spud does Tanks!!! ;)
Cheers

George

Return to “Modelling Questions”