Diorama help needed

There's no such thing as a stupid question so fire away!
beowulf

Diorama help needed

Postby beowulf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 pm

so i have one of these MiniArt dio kits

ive never done a dio (cept those that come with Revell/ex-Matchbox 1/76 kits and thats not the same) and to be honest i dont have a clue where to start @o)

the main reason ive been wanting to do one of these is to use it as a base for taking pics of armour on

in 2 months im moderating on an armour build somewhere else so im thinking of doing this at the same time, so any tips would be of use :lol:

what do you use for grass?, any tips on painting? anything else i need to know?

Spud

Re: Diorama help needed

Postby Spud » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 am

i have this one almost done, i painted the building a kind of a tanish color then painted that with raw umber i think and wiped it off this gave me the same color as you see on the box.

for grass i use that stuff the rail guys use pve glue and load up a sive and just tap it and let the grass fall on to the pva, then give it a blow for it to stand, once that is dry i spray it with a dusting of pigments to take the brightness of it.

BrIAN332

Re: Diorama help needed

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 am

Oh very interesting Paul,that looks like a nice kit and with a good size base as well which is ideal esp for displaying 1/35 armor.Attention to detail is what i always look for in a dio anyhow but also just keep it simple as having to much going on just takes from the main central theme ie the vehicle and when using one of these buildings kits,the building itself. normally i tend to go for a gray look on my buildings and with red brick and try and make them as dusty looking as possible esp around the windows and doors.im presuming with that kit you got a sprue of window frames,doors etc that they normally include in their kits and these are fantastic for addding detail in the form of broken windows and bits of frame strewn about etc

As Spud said the grass the railway modelers use is ideal and i also use static grass that comes in sheets that you would find at your LHS and for high grass i use the brisstles from decorating paintbrushes and insert them carefully into drilled holes in the base and fix in place with some superglue and just paint for realism.Rubble around the building is also essential and some loose bricks also add detail.Other items such as fuel drums,jerry cans,telegraph poles etc are also very handy and i use them a lot as you prob saw in my russian dios.

The main thing anyhow i find in dioramas is displaying the vehicle at an angle as it def lends to better visual effect and most of them miniart buildings are shaped that way anyhow for displaying what you want on the base.Also i find that adding a few figures brings a bit more life to a diorama,just my thoughts anyhow on this subject,im sure you will find plenty tips and techniques elsewhere on the net and look forward to seeing what you come up with using this one Paul :o)b

Cheers,Brian :o)b

Return to “Modelling Questions”