hi there

Welcome to the ISM forums. Feel free to say hello and tell us a little about yourself. We don't bite!
Moscowbob

hi there

Postby Moscowbob » Mon May 18, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi folks

I'm a long lapsed modeler (25+ years without) but now back in the saddle again courtesy of my 5 year old. Over Christmas he managed to get an interest in aircraft and we built some models together so that he had something to play with. It was definitely a collaborative effort as we would put some simple click to fit models together and then he would then help paint some of the others.

So we have been learning an working on models since January. Living in Russia we have we have been building a lot of the local models. We have been trying to learn as we go along and I would really like some input into our work and I'll continue to learn bit by bit as we go along.

Let me know what you think of our work. We are just using brushes at the moment. I'm not letting a 5 year old getting his hands on an airbrush, not that I have one either :-)

our first build was a Zvezda click fit Messerschmidt. no primer and no gloss for the decals. a bit tricky but with the paint. (first post so seeing if the imbedding will work)

and really bad reaction to the matt spray on the enamel paint. (one more lesson)

next up was a zvezda FW190, again a click fit. this one we did in gloss and matt. The little lad didn't want this one with wheels down so we did a belly slapper....

next up we did a revell F4u1a Corsair (the nice black sheep squadron one). it lost all its appendages as the little fellow spent plenty of time playing with the models.

We then went onto a Eastern Express Wellington Mk1c. its an old FROG model apparently, and horrible to work with. it was so bad that having looked at the decals, I decided it should be named after Hogar and left it as it was printed on the sheet. The paints were Akan, which were wonderful to work with. None of the transparants fitted and we still had to putty them into place. what a nightmare.

next up was another old FROG/eastern express model. this time a tempest. we got to practice cutting plastic as there was a big gap in the air intake and some putty working. the cockpit disappeared somewhere up the designers a##e.

an an amazing lack of wheel bays :-)

so then currently on to another eastern express/FROG model. I am obviously a glutton for punishment. I am not sure that I have enough putty if this is going to continue as bad as this little Marauder.

you should see these wheel bays

so please let me know what you think. I like to keep the wee one involved in each model in some way. they are toys for him to play with so I think its only right.

David

Moscowbob

Re: hi there

Postby Moscowbob » Mon May 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Oh - and yes that Star is the wrong way round

martay

Postby martay » Mon May 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi David and welcome to the gang, great to see you getting back into building and what better reason than the small fella, youve picked some feckin hard kits but prob for the best if himself is gonna be playing with them, must be great fun gettin him involved and not being too worried bout them gettin bashed, your painting skills are coming along and at this stage its all about having fun. whats Moscow like for kits, much choice?
M
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

martay

Postby martay » Mon May 18, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi David and welcome to the gang, great to see you getting back into building and what better reason than the small fella, youve picked some feckin hard kits but prob for the best if himself is gonna be playing with them, must be great fun gettin him involved and not being too worried bout them gettin bashed, your painting skills are coming along and at this stage its all about having fun. whats Moscow like for kits, much choice?
M
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 pm

[smilie=post1.gif]

Welcome to ISM David (& son)! Great to have you with us and welcome back to the hobby. You certainly have your work cut out for yourself with those kits! Maybe you should have tried a "shake'n'bake" kit to ease you back in :D These kits will definitely hone in and build your modelling skills so they're good practice. I think you're on the right track anyway as the results are better than modelers who have been at it for years!

Keep it up and feel free to ask any questions. Welcome aboard!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Moscowbob

Postby Moscowbob » Tue May 19, 2015 10:11 pm

martay wrote: whats Moscow like for kits, much choice?
M

Martay

Thanks for the welcome. Moscow has a good choice of model shops, with two good physical locations that I frequent and a couple of online only stores. I would send you the links but the sites are in Russian.

We do get access to a lot of eastern European manufacturers at reasonable prices. For example I picked up a 1:48 Spit and also a mustang from ICM for about EUR 8 each and an ICM i:72 Chaika for EUR 6. Obviously we have Zvezda (star) as a local model maker with ICM and master box (MB) which are both Ukrainian manufacturers as examples of the good stuff. Eastern express do have some newer civil aviation stuff, but their old kits have more flash than model. I have not tried ARK models but I understand they have some new Russian ww2 fighters that might have to be built. The little one helps pick out the models we are making so if they catch his eye then I could be building something like that soon.

once we get into the imported stuff it can grow in price quite quickly so Airfix, revell Italeri and the Japanese imports can be a lot more expensive.

Zvezda do two types of acrylics which are the normal ones and the master version. I asked in the local shop what was the difference and was politely informed that "this good, this not good" so we go with the master ones. Akan is also another local producer and they have some good selections including the following which we used on the Wellington and the Typhoon

http://akan.ru/tematicheskie-nabory-iz- ... 39-41.html

http://akan.ru/tematicheskie-nabory-iz- ... i-raf.html

We are on Acrylics so we have both Tamiya and Revell available but they come in at about EUR 3 a pot. Quite expensive is the varnish with a Tamiya x-22 gloss acrylic varnish costing about EUR 4 for 10ml. I am now looking at various other options including artists acrylic varnishes as a substitute. Funnily enough varnishes are the bits that I have spent the most amount of time looking for in this town but the problem is that all the imported stuff has become much more expensive since last year.

Fortunatly, from a cost perspective, the stash is now big enough so that we dont have to purchase for a while. we now just have to build the damn things. next up is a Zvezda P40

David

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Tue May 19, 2015 11:05 pm

Another born again modeller,welcome back. :oDY

Return to “"Hello! My Name Is..." New Members Introduction”