CIE Craven coaches

panzerjaeger

CIE Craven coaches

Postby panzerjaeger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 pm

I have a number of Murphy Models CIE Craven coaches and would like to know if any member has any information, or even better, photographs of these coaches in service during the 1980s. The Murphy model includes transfers of no smoking signs, overhead warning flashes and white rectangles but gives no indication of where these fit on the coach.
Can any one help?

Vinny

Re: CIE Craven coaches

Postby Vinny » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:40 pm

George is your man for all this I'd say. Check out his WonderFul Weathering work in the sub forum here. I'm sure he'll answer any questions you may have.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Depends which Era you are modelling really,

The single stripe ones had no no smoking signs on them,

Two white stripe ones had the No Smoking sign on each window except for the smoking areas, the The Electrical Flash goes at the coach end under the red Square, the white Decals are for the Toilet windows.

Early one below, No no smoking Signs No warning Flashs
https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/ ... 6749630692
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48073612@N04/5492786984/

The Later Version link with No smoking Signs on the Door windows and main Window. Note the Toilet windows directly about the coach number, The white Decals go there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/ ... 6749630692

Link with loads of piccys
https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/ ... 749630692/

Hope that helps
Cheers

George

panzerjaeger

Postby panzerjaeger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:45 pm

My thanks to Vinny and George for their most helpful feedback. It was the versions with one white stripe that I was seeking information on and as you might expect, there are very few photographs of this version on the net.

I have had a bit of a modelling disaster with my new NIR 209 River Foyle and spilt Methylated Spirits (which is great for removing dry acrylic paint) on the cab side and down to the grill beyond the door. Although I cleaned it off fairly quickly, it has lifted the top surface of the blue and discoloured the finish. Although it can't be seen at normal viewing distances, I know it is there and my eye is drawn to it immediately.

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:07 pm

Jesus thats a balls up, I used white Spirits, Can a bit of Weathering cover it up for you?
Cheers

George

panzerjaeger

Postby panzerjaeger » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:32 pm

George

I didn't want to weather this model as it is a special limited edition but as I have added the black edging along the
solebar and the top of the bufferbeam cowls plus painted the silencer a more realistic colour, I don't suppose a light weathering will go amiss.

I tried applying the white transfers to the toilet windows of the early CIE coaches but found them to be slightly oversize. I tried painting them white but that didn't work too well as they were then too bright. Finally, I stripped the coaches down and painted the windows on the inside of the glazing. They are not perfect due to the thickness of the glazing but don't look too bad.

The coaches took a bit of dismantling and I managed to break the locating lugs on the end of one coach. That was very frustrating as the others came apart and went back together without any problems.

panzerjaeger

Re: CIE coaches

Postby panzerjaeger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Forgive my ignorance but what period are the new CIE Mk II coaches that have just been released by Murphys?

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:54 pm

70s to late 80's

In 1972 CIÉ placed an order with BREL for 72 new coaches based on the British Rail Mark IId design. These were built at the Litchurch Lane workshops in Derby. With air conditioning as a principal feature they became known as "AC Stock" and ran on type B4 bogies, with vacuum brakes.

The order consisted of 6 First Class coaches (5101 to 5106), 9 Composites (5151–5159), 36 Standard Class (5201–5236), 11 Restaurant / Buffet / Standard Class (5401–5411) and 11 Generator Vans (5601–5611). Internal fit-out was done in Inchicore, and was quite different from the original BR design, using bench seating rather than individual seats and made extensive use of wood veneer panelling.

Their electrical system also differed from the BR and NIR versions. The Generator Van contained two engine / generator sets, each supplying 220 / 380 Volts 50 Hz AC to two separate "busses" in the train. The air conditioning loads were divided in half, each half fed from each "bus". In the case of failure of one generator set, the other set automatically supplies both "busses". Air conditioning output power would then be halved, but all other loads including Cooking, Lighting and Battery Charging continue to be supplied. This has remained the model for the electrical power supply on all subsequent IE coaches.

To accommodate changes in traffic, five of the Composites, 5153–5156 and 5158 were re-classed as "Standards", while one of the Restaurant / Buffet / Standards, 5408, was converted for use as the Presidential Coach.

The remaining MK 2 carriages were gradually phased out during 2007 and 2008, with the last remaining set operating its final service, the 05:05 Athlone – Heuston, on 31 March 2008. Two of these vehicles (Nos. 5106 and 5203) have been preserved by the RPSI and were moved to their Whitehead base in the first quarter of 2008. They will be renumbered 303 and 304 respectively, and be repainted in RPSI dark green livery.[10] In addition, the Presidential coach No. 5408 remains stored at Inchicore, still owned by Irish Rail. This vehicle is earmarked for preservation by the RPSI.
Cheers

George

Return to “Railway Research & Reference”