Airfix MINI Cooper S

modeller

Airfix MINI Cooper S

Postby modeller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 am

With the launch of the cute 1/32 Airfix kit I needed some refrence pics to assist my build.

Here are some walkaround pics of an R56 Cooper S... I hope they help.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

modeller

Re: Airfix MINI Cooper S

Postby modeller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:03 am

When doing my research I found that the Airfix wheels despite being unfamiliar to me were actual genuine MINI dealer optional rims... not that I have ever seen them fitted on a road car.

arni

Postby arni » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Nice pics John,even though our views differ about the new Mini it does have some nice styling cues and that blue is beautiful even allowing for the orange peel.But to be fair nearly all modern cars suffer from orange peel and that annoys me a tad....

(There was a car in the workshop recently and it had been in a local bodyshop,now I am not saying that the paint was bad- bumper,wing and door were bad....but Ray Charles could have read it!....)
Nigel.

modeller

Postby modeller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I love classic and new Mini's and I've learnt to accept others views on the BMW version... even I do not like all the new models being released. I would rather see them launch the Rocket Man city car concept (same size as the original) than the giant Countryman...

Is the orange peel effect on new cars due to the change to water based paints?

arni

Postby arni » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:54 pm

That is an interesting little buggy,wouldn't mind the wheels for a few builds... :D

Is the orange peel effect on new cars due to the change to water based paints?

Not sure to be honest,but I would say no on the basis that we at home can spray water based paints without problems..
I would put it down to robotic spraying personally but if I am wrong would like to be corrected,I work in a Ford dealership and see dodgy paint every day..But having said that the current candies and pearls seem to lay down better than the straight finishes.
I have sprayed a few small bits such as mirror covers and door handles using the Ford branded rattle cans and I can get a better than factory finish using them.

I saw a programme about the Porsche factory and their shells are hand sprayed and robot cleared,a while back there was a Boxter in our front car park and I studied the paint (complete anorak... [smilie=rofl.gif] )
It was a dull metallic grey but the finish was pretty dammed good,so yea I would put it down to the robots spraying the paint.
Nigel.

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:48 pm

I almost bought a New Mini then i sat in it and it was like sitting on the ground. there a very cool looking car and we were very disappointed after sitting in it.

Looking forward to your build John

modeller

Postby modeller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Spud wrote:Looking forward to your build John

I started the first build in the summer but it stalled for some reason... this was the progress so far.

This is how it was left...

I need to finish it off so I can start the next one which will not use the kit wheels but rather I will use these...

John

Return to “Vehicle Research & Reference”