Soviet Storm: Berlin: April 1945

BrIAN332

Soviet Storm: Berlin: April 1945

Postby BrIAN332 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Ok lads time for another Berlin themed dio, one of which ive been planing for a while and will form the second in a Berlin trilogy, which will be entitled 'A Berlin Diary' :oX

Main idea/theme for this one is a Russian JSU152,roaming menacingly on a rubble strewn Berlin street during the height of battle.Im very comfortable and really enjoy doing these rubble typed dios so hey why break the habit :lol:

The JSU152 was a massive SPG which was known as 'Beast Killer' for its tank hunting capabilities and being able to knock out big German cats such as the Tiger and the Panther.

The main kit for the dio is the excellent, worth every cent, Tamiya 1/35 model.

Some ref of the real deal

The kit, or part of that im using to depict Berlin in April 1945 for this dio comes from the Miniart crossroads diorama kit, its comes in two sections so my plan was always to use both buildings/bases for two seperate projects

The box art coloring leaves a lot to be desired and one thing is for certain my building will not be green :o8

Miniart kit layout

Street base

Building sections

Ive been working away on the JSU152 over the last while and have zero WIP pics to show,as sometimes i dont stop or bother to take pics :D ,so as it stands now, the model is more or less complete, with some more weathering, pigment work etc to be done to it when the final time comes for blending it well in with the street, so the following pics are in various stages of dry and test fitting of the base and how the JSU152 will look roaming down the Berlin street...

A friend of my girlfriend kindly donated the picture frame base which was exactly the perfect size, this will be weathered as well in time for the final layout

Everything just test fitted and nothing fixed in place

How the second Berlin dio will shape up next to my first one following the end of the Battle

Up next will be some real serious work on the street and adding in the rubble and debris, using 1/35 bricks, balsa wood etc and getting the scene set to exactly how i like it, i will prob add in a few figs to this one with the possibility of some running Red Army troops the most likely scenario, but for now thats it....

Ill also be really detailing the inside of the house as i really enjoy doing that part of these projects as well

More soon.....

Brian :oDY
Last edited by BrIAN332 on Mon May 25, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martay

Re: Red Beast in Berlin: April 1945

Postby martay » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Gawd damn man your doin some savage s**t with these Berlin dio's, im cant bloody wait to see the way you turn this into your vision, nice work on the JSU its lookin good so far, but i can see your gonna do a lot more on it, love these 3D pictures your makin, your skills in this theater are inspiring mate, lookin forward to seeing how you turn this one out :DX
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

michael

Postby michael » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:44 am

Inspiring as always Brian look forward to how this will turn out, Brilliant as usual I suspect! :DX

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Oh wow! Sit back and get comfy… we're in for another treat here boys!

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. Part of a trilogy eh? I like it!

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:27 am

Great subject,it`s an awesome looking machine for sure. Scary monsters like. [smilie=pdt_str.gif]

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:13 am

i like this......always like soviet spg's....just a big armoured thug

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Cheers lads, im looking forward to getting stuck into this one now when get proper bench time....

More bricks arrived anyhow form Great North Roads ,excellent to deal with as always, one of my main ingredients for this type of work as per usual, at two quid a pack you really cant go wrong....

I also made a small start on the windows

Brian :o)b

martay

Postby martay » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Now to sit back and watch the magic happen [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif] [smilie=tasty.gif]
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Ok so ive managed to grab some bench time working on this project recently and been tipping away at it, but the fact that i had no balsa wood kinda slowed me down, but with a trip to my LHS i stocked up, but, now all that has gone into the dio progress has ground to a halt again.... ]o|

So anyhow some progress shots over the last while on this Berlin scene...

I started out by adding some rubble in the form of 1/135 scale bricks around the building, raising them up to the desired level, these are fixed in place using good old trusty superglue, some no more nails is also used in places

Some rubble at the front was also formed for added effect and interest, a damaged lampost was also added before that :)

I then began building up a desired amount of damaged timber rafters using balsa which is perfect for the job

The intention is that the building had another floor an so the brick/timber damage/debris at ground level has come from the blasts that hit the building above to try and make the rubble at ground level look like it came from the same building :D

I also began work on the reverse side and the interior of the damaged house which is one of my favorite parts of these type projects.

Balsa wood was again used for the timber joists, rafters and floorboards with some coffee stirrers also coming in handy when the balsa was used up.....

Now i added on the beginning of the floor/roof above damage to the model all the time trying to make it look natural and realistic and landed there from the blasts rather than was placed there by me @o)

And just some test fitting of the Beast in the scene

Ive been thinking about switching the Beast for a T34/85 because i think the JSU might just be a bit too big for this base,sitting just to close to the frame for my liking, and as i have another Miniart bigger street dio in the stash which can be utilised for this model, but that is down the line anyhow, for now its concentrating on the street/building damage, there will be a few twists in this anyhow no doubt before this one is all done n dusted but for now ill still be going with this Beast as is :oX

Some of the furniture from this Miniart kit will also be used for extra detail

So overall im well pleased with progress made,next up will be more debris, irregular shaped rubble and more balsa and bricks etc and also some extra detail pieces like empty panzerfaust crates, fuel drums ,jerry cans etc,details details .........more soon, ish

Brian [smilie=thumb.gif]

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Excellent work so far should be another 5 star dio Brian :DX

Return to “AFV Dioramas”