Somewhere in France............

beowulf

Somewhere in France............

Postby beowulf » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:08 pm

been roped into doing my first proper diorama in 1/35 for a dio gb somewhere else................at the minute i have no idea how its going to go, i have 3 or 4 ideas for a vehicle/figures.....maybe an anti tank gun and some infantry.....may be a Panther or a Mobelwagen

never done anything like this sort of kit before so the whole thing will be a learning curve

comes with lots of bits thats not needed.....no doubt for other kits in the range sharing common sprues

one tip ive read about these is to fill the base with something like plaster to stop it flexing,....used a whole 500g box!

cut the bits out of the sheet, sanded them flat and before gluing the halves together ive added some tabs, figured it would help keeping everything lined up

current plan is that this will get plenty of grime, mud and grass..............still got a grassinator to make yet!
Last edited by beowulf on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spud

Re: Domewhere in France............

Postby Spud » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:27 pm

once dry you could use teh plaster as the base because the other part is just like a mold :)

Ive built this before really nice and. also them spare bit will do as junk on your dio ;)

im looking forward to seeing how you get on with this,

beowulf

Re: Somewhere in France............

Postby beowulf » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

well, the plaster cracked as it dried, whole lot fell out :lol: :lol: :lol: seemed a good idea at the time

mock up so far

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:54 pm

been giving some thought as to the direction this will go

first idea was a Pak 36 with crew behind some sand bags with a few combat troops around but someone else is doingsomething very similar so thats a non starter

im now toying with a Panther and some troops.............or maybe a Mobilwagen in action....if i had some German troops 'in transit' id do a Marder.............but we shall see

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Nice project Paul. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I wouldn't mind having a crack off something like this at some point.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:45 pm

just a quick update as i think this one might take me quite a while

i really am making this up as i go along....got no idea what im doing lol.....ignore the colours at the moment, as i will explain, they are basically undercoats

the base didnt have enough texture to it so i mixed up some pva with fine rock granules and splodged it on to rough it up

its been painted brown but since ive covered with a slurry wash made with various MiG mud pigments.................the green will be covered with 'grass' once i make a grassinator

the building still needs the stone bits painting, then i will try some colour variation, then lots of washes and stuff to tone it all down

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Paint oil over the painted parts and rub it off to stain the walls it works really well. i used raw umber on mine. [smilie=tasty.gif]

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Spud wrote:Paint oil over the painted parts and rub it off to stain the walls it works really well. i used raw umber on mine. [smilie=tasty.gif]

ta for the tip......not sure wether to do that before or after a dark wash over all to bring out the nooks n crannies

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am

do it first last it on and get some cotton buds to clean it off and let it cure for a few days,

a good way to speed this up is to get some cardboard from a shipping box the thick kind put the oil on that and let the oil soak into the card. let it for about 30 mins or more and you will see the oil soak into the card,

This speeds up the drying on oils. You can also make a wash from the umber for the nooks but do that once you have finished the staining process

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:30 pm

still playing about with this

i will honestly admit although im enjoying this i am struggling.....can not get the look im after

i used MiG mud pigments and got it just right, decided to try giving it a waft of matt varnish to hold it in place.......big mistake!......the pigments went white!!....so had to do more mud washes over the top and just not managed to get the same look i had before

first job tomorrow will be to try the grassinator on the green bit at the front so im thinking of adding some to the centre of the muddy bit

the building has had numerous dark washes followed by some white dry brushing to add highlights.....but it still dosnt look how i envisioned it...the door is actually a pale blue grubbied up lol, looks white from here......added 'glass' to the windows.....was doing some laminating at work and realised the off cuts would make some great glass if i added some cracks and bullet holes............still got some shutters to add when the building bit does get attached to the base

i tip my hat to those of you that can make this kits work, Image got to be one of the hardest things ive ever done...............even tho im enjoying making it all up as i go along lol

Return to “AFV Dioramas”