So plan B is in my head & will be done later.
I also added some white Milliput to the nose wheels to attempt the shape on the outer part of the tyres.When it was hard I shaped it using a file & then a fine scalpel blade while the tyre rotated in a power tool.One worked & the other one the Milliput disintegrated so it's wating for a second go.Here's a before shot.
My first attempt at soldering.I found it a bit frustrating but it's down to lack of knowledge so I'm sure things will improve.Anyway I'm impressed with what I ended up making.At the top are two pitot tubes,below centre are where the HF aerial connects to the fuselage roof & on the left is an antenna under the fuselage. All were made using brass tubes & brass strip with the bottom HF part also has a strip of plastic.They all have a length of tube so they fit into holes drilled in position on the fuselage.I've since given the parts a coat of Mr.Surfacer & also Milliput on some to fill/shape a little better.
Finished shaping the second nose wheel & heres a look of the dry it nose gear.
I assembled the engine inerds which consist of 6mm plastic rod trimmed down to fit into a 5mm clear plastic straw,the rod has Milliput shaped to immitate the fan blades,in the centre of which a plastic rod was shaped into the cone.This was painted grey with a dulls silver tip.The three supports/splitters were 0.6mm brass tubes & their positions marked on the cone which was later painted a dull metallic colour.The straw was slipped over the handle of an old paintbrush with a strip of Tamiya tape wrapped around the handle.The straw was marked for the three tube positions & drilled.The handle prevents the straw circular shape from deforming while drilling & the tape helps to show your marking/drill point as you drill into the tape inside the straw. After cleaning up the holes you slide the brass tubes (tip dipped in ca) through to fit into their little hole in the cone,
The kit engine pods innerds were grinder out to take these straw pizza jets,the outer sraw will be painted grey & blended into the kit intake when the time comes.
Another thing tackled was the wing lights,one of which fogged a little while I glued it in so a plan B came into play.While earlier constructing the wings I protected the open light area from bits n pieces by covering with cellotape.So the tape was placed over the other light opening & trimmed.In the image below the earlier fogged plastic was sanded down & will remain to give the cellotape more area to grip.
This was ground out to the clear light shape & later cellotaped.
Both were trimmed & the edges given a little ca which was later sanded smooth when dry.Lumps n bumps for the wings were also finished.
Till next time,
The wings & tail were given a wash with lemon juice & a clean soft brush to clean off the dirt & grease built up over the build.This was then given another wash with water & a drop of washing liquid.It seems to have helped with getting a good surface for painting.
Cheers for looking,
Anon... .. .
I constructed the engines after painting the outside straw with acrylic,I used a little epoxy on the outside of the straw near the intake lip area & at the centre pod join,the rest of the kit engine was glued with Revell Contacta as normal.The nosecone was slipped on & the epoxy outside the straw secures a good fit (well one was better than the other).
Seams required filler & the port engine fit to the fuselage wasn't great but Milliput to the rescue.
The engine pods needed white Milliput at the join of the nosecone to the main pod section (this might be down to not using the kit jet blade section),they will get a coat of Mr.Surfacer to get a smoother finish later.The wing join also got some white Milliput & shaped.
I slapped on some Perfect Plastic Putty on the top wing joins.
Before it dried I used a damp soft brush to smooth & blend it in.No need for sanding in this awkward area then.
Till next time,
I also made up a pair of wipers for the cockpit windows from some brass sheet,tube & metal rod superglued together (to be glued in position later in the build).
I then primed the fuselage & elevators,put it away to dry & harden up in a box for a few days but the box fell.One nose wheel door fell off & bent,two of the small brass aerials bent, paint scratched on the nose & tail.Hopefully it's all fixable.I'll leave it for a few days & see what can be done.Another two steps forward one step back but without the Marty Morrissey Marty Party at the end of the day.
Till next time,
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest