Milliput used to fill in the reshaped undercarriage bay.Also used it to shape the top of the cockpit coaming (sorry its kinda upside down in the pic) & used a black pen & acrylic to detail the instrument panel. Just the bottom shape to paint & glue in position & the fuselage can finally be closed up.
I decided to add detail to the engines & came up with this idea & so far it seems to be woring out.I drew an outline of the kit engine & added the detail of what will be seen in the intake duct.The plan is to cut a hole in the main engine part through which a plastic straw will fit & will be positioned inside the kit intake.The straw is about 6mm diameter so everything is pretty small.The Viper engine has 28 compressor fan blades in its first row which can be seen if you look into the intake.So the 360° lines give an idea for marking the blades (a few mistake lines in there too plus a few lines for the three aerodynamic shape supports in the duct) which I made from white Milliput.First I had 6.4mm plastic rod which was put in a drill & sanded down till the end fitted snug in the straw.A few mm was cut off for one engine & the remaining bit left on the rod for the second one.The inlet cone was shaped from plastic rod in a power tool & marked for the supports.A 5.4mm Milliput pizza about 1mm thick was put on the end of the large plastic rod which was roughly marked on the side for the 28 blades (this got smudged from the water used while keeping the Swann Morton blade moist to prevent the Milliput sticking to the blade).With the inlet cone (bullet shape) placed in the centre of the pizza,I used one of the new (?) Swann Morton thin fine blades to press into the Milliput to give the impression of the fan blades.I slipped some of the spare offcut straw to slide over the finished work so it all fits in the straw.This was left overnight to harden up.
I'm thinking of using some brass rod for the 3 support shapes (maybe tricky but doable).
A closeup of the cone & compressor blades after a lick of grey acrylic.
Cheers for lamping,
Anon. .. .
I got the fuselage closed up & cockpit glazing in after using a black sharpie pen on the edges (just a little more white glue to do).Also used Mr. Surfacer on the seams & some Perfect Plastic Putty on the air intake mouth on the roof to give it a better shape
A little scribing & touching up seams,marking locations of bits n bobs.I scribed in some threads in the tyres using a power tool & a scalpel,some are better than others due to some wheels not being so circular.I made a new collision beacon for under the fuselage, painted Tamiya clear red & then futured.The carpet monster almost got that one three times!I've also masked off for the cockpit glazing ready for some filling in of the bad fit using Milliput & then Mr.Surfacer.
I gave the cockpit frames a lick of paint & then used white Milliput to fill the gaps between the fuselage parts & the glazing.I also made the roof avionic parts from 1mm plastic card & sanded to shape.
Milliput was also used for the fin/tailplane join area & a little on the tailskid area.
I marked out the nose wheel doors shape on some thin brass sheet & cut & filed to shape.
This was then glued onto the kit doors & a little white Milliput used to make the rear end shape.
Masking removed to sand down the edges where it meets the filler but while removing some masking around the glazing it pulled away some of the filler with it,so it will have to be tidied up.Also the side pillars in the cockpit framing didn't look right.I alsi earlier cut an intake vent in the nose area.
To fix the pillars I glued some 0.1mm wire between the glazing to give a edge to it & plan to use Mr. Surfacer to build up the area around it.The nosecone was glued on but was removed because the fit wasn't great (my fault) & reglued on again later.
For the touch up the glazing was remasked & the nosecone radome detail was masked up as well for the Mr. Surfacer.
After the Surfacer dried & hardened the masking was removed a little more carefully around the glazing along with the nose job.Again the area was cleaned up with a light sanding.
Till next time,
Anon. . ...
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest