DH.80A Puss Moth 1/72

Post your aircraft build topics here.
d_anonymous_modeller

DH.80A Puss Moth 1/72

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi lads,
I started this a few weeks ago & just tipping away at it now & then.It's another of the Amy Johnson flatfish models which I'm scratchbuilding which when completed will be displayed together in a picture frame & hung on a wall.Only one done so far DH.60 Jason (in one of the shots below).

A bit of history behind this aircraft - the DH.80 was a three seater tourer first built in 1929 & was one of the fastest civil aircraft at the time.In July–August 1931 Amy Johnson made an eight-day flight with her co-pilot, Jack Humphreys to Moscow and Tokyo in G-AAZV, named "Jason II", completing the leg to Moscow in one day.She also flew another DH.80A Desert Cloud solo from England to Cape Town & return in 1932 & set a new speed record.G-AAZV flew with the RAF 510 Sqn. as a communication aircraft as X9402 in WWII & was scrapped at Kemble in 1944.

The model is made from plastic sheet & strip,a bit of Mr. Surfacer here & there for detail & filling.I don't have decals for this so I'll be painting the registration & name... sound.

You gotta start somewhere,2mm plastic sheet.Fuselage outlined & cut out.I used a power tool to speed up shaping & went just a little too far in one or two spots but no big deal.

Prop,rudder,tailplane & wing (in two sections) shaped from 1mm plastic sheet.Mr. Surfacer used to shape details & fill pot marks in the plastic & some scribing done.

Cabin area masked up ready to add thinned down Mr. Surfacer for details.

Wing sections glued together & everything dry fitted to give an idea of progress so far.

Alongside DH.60 Jason

I need to make struts,airbrakes,undercarriage,reshape the nose & add a little to the wing then onto paint.

TTFN
Anon....

JayCub

Re: DH.80A Puss Moth 1/72

Postby JayCub » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 am

Nicely done and different in a couple of ways, i wonder how they will stack up on a different background, i haven't scratch built much, but this looks wonderful as it takes a bit of work to get right, and more patience than i have, interesting art

Tom

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Nice scratch building Anon... an artist at work! :ugeek:

Can't wait to see the finished work of art.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:55 pm

ah....all those kits on the Stash dude and your back to the flats, gonna have to have a word with ya!!

I am sure this will turn out a nice as the 60. You must have a Crush on Amy Man :) Met her in the Science museum in London last year.

She is very nice, A touch still wet after the swim in the Thames. http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/educato ... my_johnson

A Lady worth finding out about for sure.
Cheers

George

Return to “Work In Progress”