Then a few light coats of Mr. Surfacer & fine tune the shape.Still needs a bit of touch up in a few places.Another dry fit for a sconce of the progress.
For the twin engine section I'm trying out something new to me.I got a sample of Balsa Foam from Spud.Thankyou Peter its great stuff to work with.It's like a finer honetcomb ala Cadbury's Crunchie but not as tasty.Cut to size & the two halves joined by double sided sticky tape.
Sanded to shape stage by stage.
I removed too much on the bottom lower sections so will use filler to fill the area & continue to sand to shape.
The engine section was given a few coats of Mr. Surfacer to seal the Balsafoam & eventually get a smooth finish on the part.Also the bottom section was removed .It will be built up with filler once connected to the fuselage.
We had a BBQ during good weather so after the food was cooked a length of Albion Alloys finest 4mm brass tube was also put on the barbie.Then when it was nice n hot it was bent using a vice/vice grips & a nail stuck in the tube.Low tech but its all I could come up with for the job.The tube was then cut at the bend so I had two tubes with equal angles or thereabouts.
These were marked,then cut,grinded to shape & the inside also ground down to a finer edge using the power tool again.
Here's what they look like loosely fitted.
Current state of the Squirrel with most parts just loosly fitted
Thanks for looking chaps,
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest