As usual with Matchbox kits the panel lines are pretty deep so I used Mr. Surfacer to fill them in,the door was glued in & then filled with green stuff putty & Mr. Surfacer since it had large gaps.I carved into the front of the rudder to give it a more realistic shape & done a little scribing on the rudder as well (more to do there).The trailing edge of the rudder & engine pylons were thinned down.I'll have to do a bit of scratchbuilding for the cockpit but won't go mad as not much will be seen.Added some liquid gravity in the radome with watered down white glue.
Quick decal test done.Just warm water used & they are fragile.You can see the bottom of the decal started to crumble as I pressed it on the kit to remove some water.I'm no decal expert but the glue has done it's job.
I glued in the fillet at the wing train edge/fuselage join (still needs tidying up),drilled for a light before the wing,cut out the wings & filled in panel lines & sink marks,main undercarriage doors,glazing (will need to thin remove the framing on the cockpit) & finally I removed the elevators.I scratched new elevators from 2mm card since I thought it would be easier than cutting into the Matchbox tailplanes.
The photo shows the underside loosely fitted.
I'll do something simular with the ailerons soon.The wings have a droop towards the tips & thinking back to my first Matchbox 125 - that also had the same droopy wings.I had a quick look at another 125 build & that also has the droop so I think it comes down to the sprue design.When the parts are cut from the sprue the wing parts will bend into this curve.I tried dipping the wings in warm water to help straighten them but was only a little successful so I tried fitting some brass rod in the wing to help straighten it.Not so good when I almost went through the wing with the power tool.
A little more detail on the tailplane.
Also on the tail & rudder.
So that's it till I get more done & photos.
I cut out a little too tight on the bottom one - no worries.Both were then sanded to shape.
I added a little plastic sheet in two positions to make the aileron the correct size,then shaped.
The landing lights in the wings were just a panel line so I tried to improve them.
So I cut out the panel & thinned the surrounding plastic inside the wing.Then cut some lengths of plastic strip & glued them to the inside protruding into the opened area.The idea is this will give a lip of plastic strip onto which the clear plastic light cover will be attached.If it works out - great.
Then the internal walls of the light fittings were built up & glued onto one half of each wing along with a scratched taxi light from clear sprue & a landing light from Little Cars 2mm clear lens.
It looks a little rough but it will work out fine,painted with Vallejo white & a little beige where the white chipped off.
Little Cars 1mm clear lenses were glued into the holes drilled in the fuselage sides ahead of the wings & the hole was then filled with superglue (to be sanded back flat) to make the lights glass cover.Also the kit wingtip lights were cut off & clear plastic glued in their place to be sanded to shape.I used a clear plastic knife as the donor.They were drilled & painted red & blue to represent the coloured bulbs.
Here's a photo of the ailerons as they are at the moment marked out for a little more detailing.I forgot I also thinned down the trailing edge of the flaps & took a skim off the top.The navigation lights have been blended into the tips with a file & a fine sanding stick.The lights in the side of the fuselage were also sanded flat with sanding sticks.
Finally the tailplane bullet fairing got a bit of Milliput to extend & shape it & then a coat of Mr. Surfacer (still a bit to do).The hinge areas were built up a little & shaped with Mr. Surfacer as well.
Ok,here's my attempt at straightening the wings.I already cut a grouve on the inside of the wing and cut some brass tube & taped this onto the top wing section.
Then added a little araldite epoxy glue.
Covered that with a little cling film so it doesn't glue to the other half of the wing.
Placed the other half of the wing on & pressed onto a steel ruler so it sets flat.I earlier removed a strake from the bottom of the wing which wasn't on this 125-600.It was then left overnight.
Till next time,
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest