Irish Air Corps Gloster Gladiator 26

Vinny

Re: Irish Air Corps Gloster Gladiator 26

Postby Vinny » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Well now, aren't you a clever chap! Nice work on those wheels... a lot of work, but the results are excellent. Good trick with the Mickey Mouse Dremel :lol:

Looking good, almost there [smilie=thumb.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:55 am

Cheers Vinnie,
yeah I knew it would come in handy sometime.They didnt take too long to do,I think you could use the same trick with plastic card with a better result because you could use filler to fill the gaps between the strips glued together.I've been thinkin about a filler for the paper card & I think Gesso paint might do,its a white primer partly made up of plaster.I have a pot of it in me sis's house but will try it out sometime.It should work.

Got the struts made last night,the only parts left from the kit are the pitot tube & exhaust pipes.Then a few things to scratch like gunbarrels - my attempt at the kit ones was dire :oops: .

Thanks for looking chaps,
Anon...

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Yeah, I thought it would have been easier to build the wheels in plastic as you could really work into them with a sanding stick to round them out... and even bulge them with a hot screwdriver. Anyway, I now know who to go to if I need wheels made up! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing her on her legs [smilie=thumb.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:01 am

Hi there,
not much progress again.These are the finished wheels along with the kit origionals in the bottom of the pic.

One of the tiny struts being glued.I used a .5mm (or something simular) drillbit to give the aerodynamic shape while glueing it together.The drillbit is removed when it has dried.I tried removing one early & the strut just twists & warps - all part of learning new tricks I guess.

I glued all the struts onto the lower wings & fuselage roughly at the right angles.A bit of a headwrecker.The radiator was glued in front of the cockpit,I glued this onto some thicker paper to give it something resembling the correct thickness.

Cheers for lamping,
Anon.....

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Nice progress! The wheels look much better now. Those struts are tiny!! 8oS Looking forward to the next update.

[smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 am

How do,
I've been a quiet boyeen lately - not much modelling done.I eventually glued the top wing on.What a bugger!!It just wouldn't co-operate.She lost a tailplane in the kerfuffle we had,fixed that back on & in the end I used epoxy to make the wing stick.Here she is in submission.

I also scratched a step & now making some navigation lights for the top wing - no photos yet.Hope to get more done during the week.Thanks again for watching.

Anon....

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm

That looks fantastic! I really like the underside. What are you making the nav lights out of? Surely not paper! :oj
Looking forward to the next update Anon [smilie=thumb.gif]

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:25 am

How do,
well surprise surprise I didn't get much done but a little more this week.I done the rigging wires with EZ Line which is elasticated & gives a little before it snaps (like the missus knickers) [smilie=pdt_nunu.gif] .Aeroclub do something simular but I couldnt find it.Only problem with card is the superglue soaks into the paper.Next I glued the undercarriage legs to the wheels useing a piece of toothpick.

The exhaust pipes were also glued but need to be bent into shape later.

The gunpods were glued onto the bottom wings - gunbarrels to be made later.

A few parts glued into position at last.Undercarriage,pitot tube connected & engine up front.Just a few more small parts to go on.

Slan for now,
Anon....

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:28 pm

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 am

How now,
I got another bit done on this Gladiator & can see the finish line at last.I stuck on a few bits,lick o paint & whatnot.Exhausts glued in position,Oil cooler intake under the cowl,navigation lights on top wing & aerial mast on the fin made from toothpick & glued on.Also got one gun made from a toothpick made using that lectric yolk thats turning out to be a bit handy.I used it like a mini lathe with a scalpel to take a cut from the wood using a slow speed & a little sandpaper to smooth.Not 100% great but twill do,better than anything I could come up with in paper.Photos below show some of the progress,more soon!

Slan,
Anon....

Return to “Paper Modelling”