My first attempt at card modeling....well,
when I was a boy,
I cut out & glued together the cars & trucks etc that were printed on the Kelloggs boxes.The cardboard media of those kits like my memory of them are well recycled & forgotten.Like so many guys these days I'm getting back into modelling after many years distracted by life.I came accross this on the net & it took my interest so why not build it.It was designed by Christoph Stahl in 2008 & the Air Corps version was drawn by Guide van Roy - scale is 1/60.Downloaded for free with instructions & printed by a nice lass for 2 Euro.
First off I cut out the fuselage parts & bent them to shape (circular) glued the tabs,it bonds quickly so its easy to make mistakes.First mistake was I cut off a tab on the rear fuselage...no problem,just cut off some spare paper from the sheet ,make a new tab & try to correct my mistake.Next the fuselage parts are glued together working from the centre section.Guess I'm rusty but they don't match up great.If I was workin for Boeing or Airbus I'd have got the big boot ha ha.
The edges of the cutout parts were painted to match the colour scheme as close as possible,otherwise you would be left with bright white paper where the sections join together.
Also the Squadron badge on the starboard side has the Black Panter facing towards the rear instead of facing forward.I'll sort this out later.
Next I cut out most of the other parts.
OK next up I added two more sections onto the nose & folded & glued the wings into shape.
The wheel parts were glued together.
Then I tackled the engine.You have a choice of a simple picture of an engine to use or cut out parts to make a more realistic looking engine.I went for the hard one of course.The Mercury engine has 9 cylinders so a good few small parts to stick together.You roll the paper with these details into a small D shape,then another slightly larger D shape.Cut 9 to size from these rollies & glue the larger D's onto the engine section.Then the smaller D's slide through the larger ones to make the cylinder - easy right.No.At this point I began to think I'm getting into some new sadism trip but I kept one's pecker up & the ones that didn't slide were trimed & glued in place.When finished it didnt look too bad.
The prop was glued together.
Well thats where its at till I get stuck in again,thanks for looking & all comments appreciated.Gowan ow dat -
Gowan ow dat!
OK I got a little done during the week,Here I'm rolling the inside of the front engine cowl/exhaust ring using a round pencil (this one just happens to have a rubber) & the palm of my hand to bend it to shape then glue each end together.
I couldnt resist making a few bits of scratchbuilt details for the engine.Drawn onto scrap paper left over from the origional page cut out & glued together.Maybe I should have painted them before glueing??I use gauche paint to colour the edges & make changes like the exhaust which looked too simular to the dark earth camoflage colour.Its simular to watercolour but thicker & it didn't crack or come off while bending the paper parts.The scratched parts will eventually glue onto the front of the engine with the propeller shaft (cocktail stick) through the centre.The two small cone shapes were glued together with super glue as it was impossible to hold them in place long enough for the pva glue to work.These are two air intakes in between engine cylinders which will be glued onto maybe cocktail sticks or something thiner.I only tried this out,I wasn't sure if I could make stuff this small & if it didn't work - just put the engine together following the plans.
The plan says to cut off the front section of the fuselage - so I used a very thin etched razor saw from RB Productions.Worked a treat.The engine will be glued onto this later.
Also I got around to sorting the Squadron badge problem using Photoshop to get the Black Panther to face forward.Just waiting on the lovely lass to get her colour photocopier fixed for the next step.
Thats all for now chaps,carry on modelling
I'm enjoying this build! Very different.
These paper kits should come with the hazardous sign or warning of some kind so you have been warned.
Thinking of you Mr A.
all is recorded in the accident report boowk - most embarrising.The missus kissed it better,put a Winnie the Pooh plaster on me thumb & gave me a cheeky slap on the ass while I walked away. Still not as bad as your gash last month Mr. G
Till next time then chaps,
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest