hobbymaster thunderbirds f-100D supersaber

scorpion

Re: hobbymaster thunderbirds f-100D supersaber

Postby scorpion » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Vinny wrote:Excellent! Don't forget to give those old decals a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film before you use them. It'll prevent them from disintegrating or cracking in the water or when being applied. It can happen with the older decals a lot.

Glad it all worked out for you. Hope to see the altered aircraft on here some time.

All the best,
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]
hi vinny,where can i get that microscale decal film from as i do need it for my max decals "irish air corps" decal sheet,i have used those decals in the past and they too disintregated when i put them in water

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Hmmmm, good question! This country isn't the best for picking up all the important stuff that makes life easier for the modeller. I know Marks Models don't do it but MAYBE the Model Shop on Blessing Street does it. Paul Walsh might be able to order it in for you if it's not in stock. I'm not familiar with the Dublin model shops but one of the lads on here may be able to give to a source in Dublin.

If you buy online then you have many sources available to you. Hannants do it for £3.25, even Amazon have it for £3.75. ModelsforSale.com stock it at £2.50 and Vincent is a good guy and will post to Ireland. Sorry I can't be of any more help because any time I've bought it has been at an airshow or model show in the UK.

Definitely worth having in the tool box and I would definitely recommend that you apply it over the Max Decals sheet as it will hold them together. It's simple to apply, just brush on a light even coat and let it dry for 15 mins (I usually leave it over night or apply it long before I need the decals). It disappears on the decals and leaves no visible brush strokes.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

scorpion

Postby scorpion » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Vinny wrote:Hmmmm, good question! This country isn't the best for picking up all the important stuff that makes life easier for the modeller. I know Marks Models don't do it but MAYBE the Model Shop on Blessing Street does it. Paul Walsh might be able to order it in for you if it's not in stock. I'm not familiar with the Dublin model shops but one of the lads on here may be able to give to a source in Dublin.

If you buy online then you have many sources available to you. Hannants do it for £3.25, even Amazon have it for £3.75. ModelsforSale.com stock it at £2.50 and Vincent is a good guy and will post to Ireland. Sorry I can't be of any more help because any time I've bought it has been at an airshow or model show in the UK.

Definitely worth having in the tool box and I would definitely recommend that you apply it over the Max Decals sheet as it will hold them together. It's simple to apply, just brush on a light even coat and let it dry for 15 mins (I usually leave it over night or apply it long before I need the decals). It disappears on the decals and leaves no visible brush strokes.

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]
hi vinny,thanks for that.i will give vince over on modelsforsale a look,thanks for the help..again very much appreciated :DX [smilie=bow.gif] :o)b

scorpion

Postby scorpion » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:18 pm

the esci kit arrived today and when i opened it to take a look at the decals i had a nice [and most welcome] surprise.the decals in question actually have a white background with the stars on them [i was expecting the decals to be a clear / translucent colur in order to allow the white paint to show through] so in otherwords all i have to do is line them up with the red trim on the tailplanes and fin....NO painting is required whatsoever :DX :D [smilie=banana.gif] [smilie=thumbsup02.gif]

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Cool! That saves you a lot of trouble then but I'd say be very careful as I can't see the dimensions being exactly the same between the diecast and plastic model so you may need to touch up the edges pre or post decal application (which one is for you to decide). Measure things up carefully before you commit. And do let us know how you get on :o)b

Vinny

scorpion

Postby scorpion » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 pm

hi vinny,sorry for the late reply...decals went on perfectly [i did need to do a tiny amount of touch up] but as i say was pretty much spot on...now i might try the red nose decal as on the die cast the red is more of a "wine" as opposed to the bright red althought the "wine" might be correct for the f-100 :o)b :o)b :oDY

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Excellent result! You made the effort and it paid off. At least now you'll have a correct F-100D and you won't have that voice niggling you in your head saying the colours are wrong. :D

All the best!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Return to “Die Cast Models”