Belleau Wood

tsweeney

Belleau Wood

Postby tsweeney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 pm

At 04:00 on 11 June, Wise's men advanced through a thick morning mist towards Belleau Wood, supported by the 23rd and 77th companies of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion, and elements of the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Engineers[8](p17) and were cut to pieces by heavy fire. Platoons were isolated and destroyed by interlocked machine gun fire. It was discovered that the battalion had advanced in the wrong direction. Rather than moving northeast, they had moved directly across the wood's narrow waist. However, they smashed the German southern defensive lines. A German private, whose company had 30 men left out of 120, wrote "We have Americans opposite us who are terribly reckless fellows."[3](p113)

Overall, the woods were attacked by the Marines a total of six times before they could successfully expel the Germans. They fought off parts of five divisions of Germans, often reduced to using only their bayonets or fists in hand-to-hand combat.

On 26 June, the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, under command of Major Maurice E. Shearer, supported by two companies of the 4th Machine Gun Battalion and the 15th Company of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion, made an attack on Belleau Wood, which finally cleared that forest of Germans.[8] On that day, Major Shearer submitted a report simply stating, "Woods now U.S. Marine Corps entirely,"[9](p3) ending one of the bloodiest and most ferocious battles U.S. forces would fight in the war.

The Germans called the U.S.Marines Teufel Hunden ( Devil Dogs) which The U.S. Marines have claimed as part of their heritage.

I hope I did the Marine Corps proud

Semper Fi

Tom

BrIAN332

Re: Belleau Wood

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Very cool Tom, i love that name "Teufel Hunden", are they the ICM figures that you used, as planing on using them for a diorama myself, keep up the good work :DX

JayCub

Postby JayCub » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:39 pm

interesting facts, i like the way the figures are posed as it brings life to the diorama, and the added accessories are a nice touch, the rising smoke is really realistic how did you do that ? if its wool you have nailed it
Tom

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Nice work Tom :DX Great scene with the story to back it up. The groundwork looks very well. Nice to see you do something from the European Theatre.

Thanks for sharing!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 am

Semper Fi You are Tom. Always remember, never forget their sacrificies and keep reminding us of that. :DX

Return to “Dioramas”