"Kurland Armee"

Stoertebecker

"Kurland Armee"

Postby Stoertebecker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:36 pm

In 1944 the Heeresgruppe Nord was pushed back into the area around Riga and Tilsit, also known as the Kurland. The 16. and the 18.Armee where retreating and then cut off from other german forces by the advance of some 40 Russian Divisions. Held on the spot by Hitlers refusal to let them withdraw and regroup via the Baltic Sea, some 400.000 men set out to defend their positions and repell even the strongest russian attacks. Outnumbered in everything the Kurland Armee was never defeated and saw the end of the war "intact" as a fighting unit. Of the 400.000 men only 26.000 were rescued from imprisonment by the german navy after the surrender. Approximately 210.000 made their way into Russian captivity. The rest perished in the defensive fights of the autumn/winter of 1944-45.
I decided to start on a defensive scene of some sort, in the town of Riga, where the german "Landser" defended every house and ruin to give their Units a chance to retreat.
My kits of choice are:
And:

The idea is to have these two, or parts thereof sat in a street/ruin setting. I'll be working away on them, still waiting on them jaysus bricks and cobblestones I ordered in Germany what feels a lifetime ago.
My skills are nowhere near the standard here, but with some advice and enthusiasm, I might get there one day.
I am trying to post regular updates, depending on progress and that damn DHL delivery.
Thanks for having a look, any tips or advice will be very much appreciated!

Marco
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild,
dass er beschützt und hegt sein Wild,
weidmännisch jagt, wie sich's gehört,
den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Lego

Re: "Kurland Armee"

Postby Lego » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Very interesting project.

[smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Tips.

Have fun and don't be afraid to try something :)

martay

Postby martay » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 am

Good idea for a dio, and a very little know part of the German campaign, look forward to seeing ( and learning from ) your work on this :)
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Stoertebecker

Postby Stoertebecker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Jeez, how time flies... Well holiday an' all in it, but I haven't bee lazy.
So I set out to create the typical red brick scene, that is so typical for the Kurland.
With the help of some Tamiya Walls I was on my way, creating the cobblestoned footpath with those juweela thingys. Coffee stirring sticks work very well as floorboards and polyfiller is the most beautiful modelling material there is anyway. So I created the look of broken off plaster...
Now the pain in the A*** started trying to recreate the first floor walls with tiny, tiny bricks, as I wanted to have the irregular look of a 'built' house, as those Tamiya walls are easy and quick...and boringly regular...

Couple of evenings experimenting with the right way of building, I finally packed out the airbrush and startet giving the whole thing a little 'feeling', trying to be realistic...

Stoertebecker

Postby Stoertebecker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:14 pm

So with all that going on the progress is now a tad steadier, with tonights progress defo going into the final direction, dioramawise.
Still early days though with some damage and some soot and dust to be added. The loose grass works alright for the moment, few more features to be added all round, rocks and stuff, but pretty happy so far.
Have been working on them men and the PAK as well, see if I find some piccies...

Stoertebecker

Postby Stoertebecker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Few progress pics on the 'Landser' as well...
....mind you, I should sort out the lighting for future pics...

Plan is to use what's left of the weekend after work to progress further with the gun and the men, so that ye get a better idea of how I picture my crude idea...

Stoertebecker

Postby Stoertebecker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:25 pm

And more progress was made... Added some more wall and broke it out then for damage to the ruin...

I realized that if I wouldn't head for final prep, that I'd spend another eternity trying to add to the ruin, so out came the airbrush...
And also prepped the yard area, where I was hoping the cannon would be well placed...

All in all pretty happy with how most of it turned out, now for the finishing touches on the model and soldiers...

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:52 pm

that is dam cool.

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 am

Great backround story and in fairness a hell of a lot of work in the detail. The best part of a story is in the telling of it and the diorama is the embodiment of that. :o)b

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Fantastic!! Can't believe you're pretty much building this diorama brick by brick. Great modelling!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Return to “Dioramas”