"Ambush at Poteau" Ardennes 1944

BrIAN332

"Ambush at Poteau" Ardennes 1944

Postby BrIAN332 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Ok so here is my third installment in my small trio of figure dios that ive been working on and really enjoying lately.

Sometimes, well most of the time, i get more satisfaction in this hobby trying to create scenes/dioramas than building kits OTB.

Anyhow, this one is loosely based on the famous Ambush at Poteau in the Ardennes region during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944.

The figures are the excellent set from Dragon that include probably one of the most well known photographed soldiers of WW2.

For the base and groundwork on this one im using yet again a small trophy base, i really need to get more of these.

The ruin again is by Italeri, and again i used filler for groundwork and static grass from Marks, forming a pathway in the grass

I assembled Tamiya US jerry cans and a fuel drum which i had in the stash, my concept for this scene that the soldiers have assembled for their smoke with their captured Lucky Strike cigs around the ruin where the Americans had a small fuel depot

The figs assembled and in the probable layout as on the boxart as is most apt i think anyhow

So my attepmt at painting SS camo smocks should be fun......but isnt that the main thing in this hobby anyhow eh :lol:

How the trio are shaping up , so far so good.......more soon, ish :o|

Brian [smilie=thumb.gif]

Vinny

Re: "Ambush at Poteau" Ardennes 1944

Postby Vinny » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:30 pm

That looks class Brian and the trio look very impressive together. Nice job so far! :o)b

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:28 pm

that is really cool Brian,

martay

Postby martay » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Love it Brian, you've again set an excellent scene and it looks great when put with the other two, look forward to seeing how you detail this one :o)b
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks lads, now hopefully i can spend more time at the bench and less time online :D

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:39 pm

Outstanding. :o)b Great subject too. I often wonder when I see this type of photo,personal almost,what happened them,did they make it ?

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Cheers Jim, this one has turned out to be my fav of the three dios and def has made up my mind to make more smaller dios in the future and esp try and get through the large amount of boxes of figs in the stash :o|

Hedgerow material and cheap superglue from Deals which all i ever use for my dios

I decided on this fig layout with more interaction between just three instead of four figs

Added in more discarded jerry cans and a duffle bag , all from Tamiya,

Wasnt that pushed about complete accuracy with the uniforms as i coudnt give a shite about that part of modelling,leave that to others, very pleased with how they all turned out and how the three sets look on the bases interacting with eachother,i think the hedgerow material really adds to the realism of the scenes.

Just a matter of fixing the figs to the bases now, adding on the mud and dirt on their boots etc and some smaller details, really enjoyed working on these small dios and will def be doing a few more, have a friend of mine making me some new bases n all :D

Brian [smilie=thumb.gif]

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Hey Brian
they all look the dogs , but you know you will be back with a big dio soon :lol: After telford you,ll have loads a crap to use.
they all look great , im always threatening to do smaller dios ]o| .
with the poteau dio have a small bit a crap on the ground like empty boxes and bits and bobs paper empty cans bottles , just to give that look of been gone through ? [smilie=thumbsup02.gif]
Image Image

DAVY

Postby DAVY » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:03 am

All dios are excellent no matter how big or small they are :DX Davy

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:07 pm

They look fantastic together Brian! Really unusual and very well detailed. Superb work! :DX

There can't be much left in them now but I'm looking forward to seeing them finished. A great display [smilie=first.gif]

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Return to “Dioramas”