long range desert group ( completed)

tsweeney

long range desert group ( completed)

Postby tsweeney » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 am

The Long Range Desert Group
was a reconnaissance and raiding unit of the British Army during the Second World War.
Originally called the Long Range Patrol (

LRP), the unit was founded in Egypt in June 1940 by Major Ralph A. Bagnold, acting under the direction of General Archibald Wavell. Bagnold was assisted by Captain Patrick Clayton and Captain William Shaw. At first the majority of the men were from New Zealand, but they were soon joined by Southern Rhodesian and British volunteers, whereupon new sub-units were formed and the name was changed to the better-known Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). The LRDG never numbered more than 350 men, all of whom were volunteers.
The

LRDG was formed specifically to carry out deep penetration, covert reconnaissance patrols and intelligence missions from behind Italian lines, although they sometimes engaged in combat operations. Because the LRDG were experts in desert navigation they were sometimes assigned to guide other units, including the Special Air Service and secret agents across the desert. During the Desert Campaign between December 1940 and April 1943, the vehicles of the LRDG operated constantly behind the Axis lines, missing a total of only 15 days during the entire period.[4] Possibly their most notable offensive action was during Operation Caravan, an attack on the town of Barce and its associated airfield, on the night of 13 September 1942. However, their most vital role was the 'Road Watch', during which they clandestinely monitored traffic on the main road from Tripoli to Benghazi, transmitting the intelligence to British Army Headquarters.

Thanks for looking

Tom

jaydee

Re: long range desert group ( completed)

Postby jaydee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:48 am

The base is bang on alright. Think about photos outdoors in natural light, you'll be impressed by the difference. :o)b

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Nice work as always Tom, i like the interaction between the figures and the base is class, have this kit in the stash myself and will be looking to do a similar dio in time, keep up the good work :DX

tsweeney

Postby tsweeney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Brian Jaydee thanks for the comments.
Brian if I can help you in any way or your diorama about the lrdp let me know.
i would be glad to help you with any questions you may have.

Tom

Return to “Dioramas”