Help Needed

Mattydread

Help Needed

Postby Mattydread » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Guys, I need a bit of help on my layout. It is a digital 00 layout in the attic. Too cold in winter, too warm in summer!! I have been at it on and off for a couple of years, I'd get fed up of the attic and do nothing, then get guilty and go back up!! Anyway, have a look at the pics and maybe give me some pointers such as move this building here or remove that piece of track, I have kind of run out of steam (pun intended!!) with it to be honest and need a fresh set of eyes or ideas to get me going again. I will probably remove the track coming from the passing loop, not very realistic I suppose (pic 7). I have two power tracks, one inner and one outer (pic 10 and pic 11) but I have a problem there too, in that when I bring a train in from the inner track to the main station, I have to leave that point as it is otherwise it cuts power to that piece of track (pic 3) so nothing can run on the inner line as I have to leave the point switched over to the station line. Do I also need a power track in here? Stupid question I know, but not very good at the electrics. I hope I have made sense!!! :roll: Anyway, I have no problem taking up or relaying track if that is what required to make the layout look better.
As always, thanks for any advice\suggestions whatever it may be!
Matt
PS Pic 17 is a brochure from my first Lima layout and GWR tank engine with 3 carriages, I still have them!!!
http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/matty ... c%20Layout
Sorry for the URL, don't know how to load up individual photos.

mrhd

Re: Help Needed

Postby mrhd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Mattydread

I see a Hornby Select DCC controller in one of the pictures. If you are on DCC then I would recommend that you put in a couple of more power clips to feed the inside loop and sidings independantly so that you are not relying on the points to make the connections.

You can use power-tracks like the one you already have, if you want to avoid soldering etc. Just be careful that you have the polarity matched all around especially where loops cross-over etc. You might have to put in some plastic fish-plates in places to prevent this.

The other thing that might help and avoid the need for extra power tracks is to put some of the little spring clips http://www.hornby.com/shop/digital/dcc- ... int-clips/ to all of your points which feed the power even when the points are 'set against you'.

regards
MRHD

Mattydread

Postby Mattydread » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for that MRHD. I thought I might need extra power alright. I do have those little clips you are talking about and they are in that point, at least I better make sure they are!!! I can run all those wires from the red and black outlets on the Select can't I?
Thanks
Matt

mrhd

Postby mrhd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi Matt

yes you can connect them all back to the red/black on the Elite. Just two things to watch out for

polarity - make sure the red is on the same side all around to avoid shorts. I connect directly to the rails and use a wagon marked 'red' on one side which I can roll around all of the loops and sidings to check that the red is on the correct side every where. If you are using the power tracks I think the left hand orange button connects to the track nearest the two orange buttons, so if you put the red connection on left all the way round with the orange buttons on the 'outside' of the loop, and use the wagon trick to double check that the orange buttons are always on the 'red' side of the wagon

power consumption - I am not sure what the power rating of the elite is, I think it is 4 Amps off the top of my head which is enough for 4 locos at full tilt. But if you need more power you just divide up the layout with plastic fish-plates and add a DCC boosters as needed http://www.hornby.com/shop/digital/r823 ... l-booster/

regards
MRHD

Georgeconna

Re:` Help Needed

Postby Georgeconna » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm

MAtty,

in that when I bring a train in from the inner track to the main station, I have to leave that point as it is otherwise it cuts power to that piece of track (pic 3) so nothing can run on the inner line as I have to leave the point switched over to the station line

If you can solder a jumper cable from the live track to the powered track and that will solve your problem otherwise us the Hornby power clips as the lads said to carry the the current through. They are product code R8232.

The Select has a transformer of 1 Amp, I have a Bachmann Dynamis which is 2.5Amp and can run 9+ Locos from that no issue and your layout is pretty compact so you should not have a power problem, I had 60 foot of track in the garden fed with one power point and it worked fine using the Select

The layout looks fine to me as well but theres plenty to look at in the Hornby, Bahmann, Ratio, Wills Catalogues to enhance it even more. Maybe where the sidings are on the left hand side you could do a qurray with a aggregate loading point and you will be able to do a bit of shunting. Also add a hill on by the town with some tress would add to it big time, Maybe extend the little station by the level crossing and have a platform on the other side and have a footbridge, Metcalfe do a nicely priced brings. Having a farms is also an option,
Cheers

George

Mattydread

Postby Mattydread » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi George and MRHD, thanks for the ideas. A platform and bridge would be nice, never thought of it. I'll try the jumper cable and see if that gives a boost.
Matt

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 am

I have never been a fan of those clips for powering track. DCC needs good connections throughout the layout and soldering directly to the track is a better way to go. Keep it up with the layout you'll get there :o)b
http://www.modelrailbaseboards.com

Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units. Complete layout service

Return to “Layouts”