Tara wagons MIR and scratchbuilds

Riversuir226

Tara wagons MIR and scratchbuilds

Postby Riversuir226 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 am

A few months ago i was lucky to come across a few Model Irish Railway kits while looking for something else, with quite a few of foldy notes exchanged i was the proud owner of 5x tara ore wagons and a 47ft container wagon.
After putting the rest away for future projects I started on the 5 taras, the kits as the norm with MIR kits are mostly resin with the bogies being made of whitemetal. All the kits when t together with the minimum of fuss and not much cursing :D .
While the 5 awaited a trip to paint shop, i got very brave and decided to scratchbuild another three.
I have the cads for them but they were fairly basic and are not to scale,so i got out the Tech drawing gear and with the aid of lots of photos drew out the plans to 1/76 scale.
A little bit further down the track ;) , top is an Mir, centre scale drawing and bottom the first signs of progress.

View from a higher angle

To detail the ribs i used plastistruct 1mm and 1.5mm square rods, the rest of the body is made up of various grades of plasticard. The chassis comes from a hornby freightliner wagon cut back to scale length. The bogies are from spares that i got from a chap in Dublin

Georgeconna

Re: Tara wagons MIR and scratchbuilds

Postby Georgeconna » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Nice stuff, You must of been connecting through the Ether this week, I got a pile of stuff from MIR before they closed and 16 of these babies are in the stash so looking forward to tracking this work, Nothing like a bit if Scratch building to thin the blood though ;)

also nice to see you posting up here, It is warmly welcomed and appreciated.
Cheers

George

martay

Postby martay » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:02 pm

savage work man, real skills there, thanks for the look at the process
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Now this is real modelling :lol: Can't beat some scratch building to test the modelling skills and give a great sense of satisfaction. This is turning out real nice and your workmanship is very neat. Nice to show the example you're working off too for comparison. Looking forward to seeing how this one builds up. [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

Thanks for posting.
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Riversuir226

Postby Riversuir226 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Many thanks for the comments lads, i m waiting on some buffers and more plastistruct to finish off them. I ll be finishing them off in red oxide, rather than the original livery of blue a few will have plenty of graffiti like the real life taras.

Riversuir226

Postby Riversuir226 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:07 am

Danna!!!!
Nearly there, just a few little extras to add before shes ready for inspection :D

Riversuir226

Postby Riversuir226 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Think i ll take a rest from the taras for a while after finishing that lot :D

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Tom,

Great work but I did notice on a Vid on U Tube some of these babies had ribs on the top and some did not. Do they have new roofs nowadays with unribbed roofs?
Cheers

George

Riversuir226

Postby Riversuir226 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks George, they seem to be the unribbed variety these days, the ones on your build are the ones that they use now, the mir casting seems not to have enough of the curve that is evident from pics. I only had two in my batch but for now im happy with the other ones on mine.
I ll give you a buzz in the shop about a little 071 order

Return to “Work In Progress”