Schwerer Panzerspahwagen 1/35

BrIAN332

Schwerer Panzerspahwagen 1/35

Postby BrIAN332 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Ok started on this one last night,Dragon German Schwerer Panzerspahwagen Armor train in 1/35.Excellent kit as you would expect from Dragon and comes with five figures which was a nice surprise as on the box it said just one :) ,so an even better bargain than it already was.I like and have an interest in these German armor trains and is nice to build something a bit different from a panzer tank or truck for a change.Also get a nice section of railway track and embankment which makes up for a nice display model on its own, but you can no doubt add on other sections of rail track as there is a few variants of this model and you can join a few together by joining the track sections together but im happy enough for the moment just making this one so have modeled the end pieces of the track section complete.Nice clean crisp detail with minimal clean up required.Have the main body section done and the track and embankment section and will do the turret,machine guns,tools etc when i get a chance to return to this one :) .Will be mounting two MGs in the turret and one front and rear.Will prob do in a winter whitewash scheme and add a couple of telegraph poles to the finished display section and a figure or two.

WIP progress shots
Roof not fixed yet,just for test fit
and the railway track embankment section

So overall im happy with the start on this one and its an enjoyable model to put together :)

Cheers,Brian :o)b

FUBAR

Re: Schwerer Panzerspahwagen 1/35

Postby FUBAR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:57 pm

looking good brian :o)b canmt wait to see the finished product!

Simson

Postby Simson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Quick and easy so.
Looking good.
What are those round discs on the hull?
And was the real thing motorised or being pulled?
Interesting paint session coming up soon, incl the bed!

Dennis

modeller

Postby modeller » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Wow... wierd or what... [smilie=yikes.gif] for something that was designed in WW2, the model in the unpainted plastic looks like something from the American civil war...

I must admit I do like the look of this subject... [smilie=thumbsup02.gif]
Veni, Vidi, Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

thats very cool brian.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Nice start Brian :DX Very unusual subject and the base it comes with is very handy. It sould look real nice with some grass etc around the tracks. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Cheers lads,its something different for sure,im looking forward to doing some more work on this one later :)

Simson wrote:Quick and easy so.
Looking good.
What are those round discs on the hull?
And was the real thing motorised or being pulled?
Interesting paint session coming up soon, incl the bed!

Dennis

Great questions Dennis,i thought you would be able to tell me ;) ,them discs are armored air intake covers and these armor trains were motorized by an air cooled 76hp steyer engine as far as i know,they could operate individually or sometimes could be four joined together or more, they were a few different versions of this same armor train chassis,main difference being the turret.They were used mainly for scouting and reconaissance missions against partistan activity and were mainly used in the Balkans.

Some ref photos of the real deal,plenty info on this one with panzer III turret
Crew shot on Kommanderwagen version
And some pics of abandoned ones

Cheers Brian :o)b

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Great pics there.
So inlet protectors...now it makes sense. They're like a mushroom dished end / endcap covering the inlet.
so they should have a little gap all around them.

It doesn't sound very safe against the partisans with their demolition attacks.

Dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Its good to have great reference photos to have i think when building a model,esp something that is not as mainstream as this subject,its a pity that dragon didnt include the history behind the model in the instruction booklet,nothing even on the box?but i ilke going off trawling the net anyhow for info on the vehicle that im building :)

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm

BrIAN332 wrote:Its good to have great reference photos to have i think when building a model,esp something that is not as mainstream as this subject,its a pity that dragon didnt include the history behind the model in the instruction booklet,nothing even on the box?but i ilke going off trawling the net anyhow for info on the vehicle that im building :)

this is the one thing i love about Tamiya is they give you a bit of history on what you are building, Dragon should do the same,

Return to “Work In Progress”