Space ranger Bust

Post your model build topics here.
parkadge

Space ranger Bust

Postby parkadge » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:23 am

Something I'm scratchbuilding from Sculpey which is an oven hardened clay. It's based on a Space mareine bust I saw on facebook but I'm not sure where I will go with this it might end up as a fantasy mercenary type instead of a Space ranger. Early stages yet anyway lots of sanding and scraping to do. This is all sculpey so far, There'll be a layer of magi sculpt and green stuff to add details.

ImageDSCF0842 by parkadge, on Flickr

the ears will be replaced I just added those ones as a temporary measure

ImageDSCF0841 by parkadge, on Flickr

Spud

Re: Space ranger Bust

Postby Spud » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 am

that's pretty cool Pat, its a good base to work up from.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Oh wow! This is going to be a good watch. Very cool idea and I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape. If it's anything like your Orc busts then this is going to be something special.

The Sculpey stuff doesn't look very attractive though… it reminds me of lard! Or does anyone remember the episode of Fr. Ted when they showed the candles made from Fr. Jack's ear wax? :o8

:lol:

Will be following this with interest.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

parkadge

Postby parkadge » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks for the comments.
The advantages of using Sculpey are that it remains usable until it is oven hardened whereas two part resin putties only have roughly a thirty minute usable time span once they are mixed. So you can play around with sculpey a lot more and if you don't like the results you can just squash it up and start again :)
It's cheaper than epoxy putties at between €11 and €15 a pound depending on where you buy it.
And it allows you to work larger than epoxy putties would. I build the basic form out of tin foil and apply the sculpey around that. For the finer details I will use Magisculpt, milliput or greenstuff

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:29 am

Eww Vinny.!

ild like to try this sometime duno if ild get away with baking it while herself is about tough :D

parkadge

Postby parkadge » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 am

Spud wrote:Eww Vinny.!

ild like to try this sometime duno if ild get away with baking it while herself is about tough :D

Do it while she's watching one of the soaps. offer to make a cup of tea. You only need to bake it for ten minutes at 130degrees centrigrade and there's no smell. Unless you forget about it in which case the kitchen will fill up with smoke and there will be stern looks and awkward conversations :(

Spud

Postby Spud » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 pm

lol. knowing me ild forget it :D

Return to “Work In Progress”