IAC CASA CN 235 - Colour?

Model related discussions about wingy things.
Fionbarra

IAC CASA CN 235 - Colour?

Postby Fionbarra » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:52 am

Hi folks,

I recently got my hands on a Scratch Aeronautics CASA CN 235, to be built in Irish Air Corps blue livery. I've spent a fair amount of time searching online but I cannot find any details on the main blue colour (or the light blue stripe for that matter).

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer on this one!

Regards, Barry.

Steverog

Re: IAC CASA CN 235 - Colour?

Postby Steverog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Barry,

I got that kit recently so am interested in the question of colour also.

Maxdecals gives the overall colour as FS15177 and says Xtracolor PRU blue (X8) is a reasonable match, however paint4models.com gives X603 as a match for FS15177. I have both of those paints and I think X603 is a very close match, X8 PRU blue seems to be a little too dark (just my opinion). It would be interesting to find out what the exact colour spec is for the Casa.
FS15177 is also quoted in 'The Irish Air Corps - An Illustrated Guide'

By the way, I have my doubts about the font and colours used on the decal sheet supplied with that kit, the Maxdecals sheet is very different.

Steve.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Humbrol 47 Gloss Sea Blue looks like a pretty good match to my eyes (the colour varies quite a bit on the photos online). One to consider and throw in the mix anyway.

Welcome Steve!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Fionbarra

Postby Fionbarra » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks guys ... I read on-line that the cheat line colour is 19 parts Humbrol 47 to 1 part Humbrol 147 - but the real challenge is the main colour, Medium Blue.

I don't have many Xtracolor paints (mainly Humbrol) but looking at photo's on-line the X8 looks like a good match (certainly better than the Tamiya XF-18 that I've seen as a cross reference).

@ Steve - I agree re. the decals ... not the best. But fair play to the guy for producing a relatively decent resin model of the CASA in the first place I suppose :-)

Regards, Barry.

Return to “Aircraft Modelling Chat”