Academy Titanic

Post your model build topics here.
Spud

Re: Academy Titanic

Postby Spud » Sun May 20, 2012 1:20 am

Those stacks are very nice George, are you gona light up the open port holes?? Would be sweet

3nero

Postby 3nero » Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 am

Vinny wrote:[smilie=rofl.gif] Sorry G! Anyway, there's no point in going all out on lovely wooden decks and then not bothering to drill out the portholes at the back... you'd never forgive yourself!

C'mere, I was watching a documentary on it the other night... is there a visible expansion joint on the model? Should be in or around the centre.

She had 2 expansion joints...1 between number 1 and 2 funnel and another further astern between numbers 3 and 4 funnels..at this scale they would be hard to see unless the margin planks are shown in the decking.
This is a very nice kit, the etched brass pieces really add some good detail. since you are drilling the portholes have you considered adding lights to the model...some fibre optics would really bring the whole ship to life and not that hard to do while the superstructure is off.

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 am

Lads,

The way I stick them together there will be expansion joints all over the shop :lol:

On the Fibre optics, I do that for my Locos but I won't be doing it on this one as I did not drill out the hill portholes. Any way my model is going to be sailing during the day.

On the next one I'll take a look down that route as this may end up in someone elses house.

G
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun May 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Ah, I didn't realise there were two expansion joints. I obviously wasn't paying attention to the documentary as I was engrossed in a masking job. It makes sense that the joints were in those positions as the joint between funnel 3 and 4 was the one the chaps in the docu where theorising about. They reckon that when the Titanic lifted out of the water it tore at that expansion joint and that if it didn't it wouldn't have gone down so fast and more people would have survived. They did a dive to the Britannic and found that H&W had changed the design of the expansion joints... but they kept that quiet.

You're right Luke, at that scale it probably isn't noticeable anyway... it would just be like a pen line in width I reckon. The line is shown in the photo below.

Lighting her up would be amazing alright but a lot of extra work (and maybe expense... I'm not familiar with the price of these mini LEDs). Definitely something to consider if the time came to build a second one.

Crazy rivet counting modelling website about the Titanic here for you George! 8oS

V

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Mon May 21, 2012 1:21 am

Jesus Vinny go easy on me. Now I am looking at Lusitania kits. Ah Christ...

Now look!!

178-828-7 Two hundred eighteen passengers including "the orchestra"
(for 1/350 scale ships) US$12.95

I'm grey enough!!

G
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 am

:lol: Ah would ya be well!?! Life's too short for that!

martay

Postby martay » Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 am

Vinny wrote:Oh yes!! Now that looks quality dude. Those decks were worth it... they really make the kit. I didn't realise there were moulded on seats on the deck. Did you get etched ones to replace them?

That cut was nasty alright... I can't believe you were out the other night with that open wound exposed in the pubs! :o8

Anyway, I'll be watching this with great interest! [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

V

The only wound exposed was his eviscerated pride due to the humiliating ineptitude of his big man hands [smilie=banghead.gif] :DX :lol:
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 am

and here i was thinking it was his mars bar fingers...

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:41 am

Hi Lads,

Forgot about this one, Up in the Loft the other day day and spotted it so it is back on again. the rest of the decks and now layered with the laser cut wood and some little bits have been re done, re sprayed and the Funnels re sprayed. Deliberating if to get Etched window set or not, Already tipping the 100 notes spend on the kit an deck alone here.

Image565_6536 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

Image565_6537 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr

Image565_6538 by Georgeconna32, on Flickr
Cheers

George

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Thats looking impressive. Mine is still sitting on the shelf of doom and thats where it will probably remain.

Return to “Work In Progress”